As a luxury consignment company, almost everything we sell is unique and in different conditions. Every day we receive tens of thousands of items in our warehouses; This presents a unique set of engineering challenges as every item we process must be treated individually.
Some of the engineering optimization challenges associated with having unique items with unique conditions you'll be working on:
- Every item has its unique description
- Every item is carefully priced based on its condition
Besides these challenges, you'll also be working on:
- Building tools to improve the item pricing experience of our consignors
- Work with the Data Science Engineering team building Machine Learning-powered pricing models for our catalog
- Draft quarterly OKRs
The tech stack you'll be working with:
- Ruby on Rails
You'll be exposed to the latest technology and data-driven culture while surrounded by a friendly, helpful engineering team. These technical challenges are at the core of The RealReal's business, and you will have a significant impact on the company's development roadmap and business success.
The RealReal has the most rigorous authentication process in the marketplace. Employee Operations support 150+ brand authenticators, gemologists, and horologists who work in our authentication process.
What You Get To Do Every Day
- Manage a team of 6-12 engineers
- Run agile project management processes
- Hire world-class engineering talent
- Mentor and develop your engineering team
- Work with your teams to prioritize and scope engineering investments
- Partner with product, business, and operations stakeholders on roadmaps, timelines, and technical strategy
- Partner with senior engineering leadership to set standards and technical vision
What You Bring To The Role
- 5+ years of experience as an engineer or technologist
- 1+ years of management experience / 2+ years in a lead role
- Experience with Elixir or Ruby
- Strong understanding of web-app performance fundamentals and related dev tools
- Mastery of git and Github workflows
- Bachelor of Computer Science degree or equivalent experience
Nice To Haves:
- Strong database fundamentals and experience with MySQL or PostgreSQL
- Strong understanding of distributed systems design
- Prior e-commerce experience
- Experience with GraphQL, Kafka
- Worked with cross-functional Engineering-ML teams
The RealReal is the world’s largest online marketplace for authenticated, resale luxury goods, with more than 20 million members. With a rigorous authentication process overseen by experts, The RealReal provides a safe and reliable platform for consumers to buy and sell their luxury items. We have hundreds of in-house gemologists, horologists and brand authenticators who inspect thousands of items each day. As a sustainable company, we give new life to pieces by thousands of brands across numerous categories—including women's and men's fashion, fine jewelry and watches, art and home—in support of the circular economy. We make selling effortless with free virtual appointments, in-home pickup, drop-off and direct shipping. We do all of the work for consignors, including authenticating, using AI and machine learning to determine optimal pricing, photographing and listing their items, as well as handling shipping and customer service. At our 13 retail locations, including our eight shoppable stores, customers can sell, meet with our experts and receive free valuations.
The RealReal is committed to providing an equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, or Veteran status. We will consider qualified applicants for a position regardless of arrest or conviction records, consistent with legal requirements.