The COVID-19 pandemic was an unprecedented challenge for global enterprises and brought widespread social and economic disruption. Many public- and private-sector institutions continue to experience challenges including health safety, risk management, and extensive effort and expense associated with curating and responding to the continuously evolving COVID-19 landscape.
In 2020, the Public Health Company (PHC) was founded with the mission to protect lives and livelihoods by delivering biosecurity intelligence and decision support with unprecedented speed via a global biosecurity platform for public and private enterprise. PHC is a growing world-class team assembled from diverse sectors including public health professionals, tech innovators, data scientists, and infectious disease experts
We are seeking an exceptional Data Scientist to help us build the company.
In this role, you will be working as a key member of the Data Science team focused on building risk models based on infectious disease forecasts, human behavior, and government policies to help businesses and governments better manage and respond to disease outbreaks. The world now understands the importance of rigorous risk modeling in the public and private sectors, and you will be part of the early team at PHC building the future of the field. Modern data streams (genomic, mobility, search, social, etc) and modern computational techniques allow us to design, fit, and test risk models that are both more accurate and more flexible than classical approaches. In this role, you will:
- Work closely with the Engineering and Product teams to build scalable mathematical modeling products that will help various entities (private and public sectors) to quantify risk based on disease outbreaks in order to tackle future epidemics/pandemics.
- Provide recommendations to PHC’s customers about the best course of action based on the risk models and custom input from customers about their risk tolerance
- Perform statistical analyses of model performance, robustness, and impact.
- Present interpretation of results to both internal and external stakeholders who may have varying levels of technical expertise.
- Provide technical and scientific guidance to PHC
- Help in mentoring junior colleagues.
- Write appropriate documentation and tests to ensure model code reproducibility and reusability.
- Work with all levels within the company including executive leadership to bring high-performing, actionable, and trustworthy models to end users
- Graduate degree in an analytical field such as biostatistics, statistics, mathematics, machine learning, computer science or another related field.
- Experience creating, implementing, and applying risk models in at least one setting (health, insurance, cybersecurity, etc.), preferably in industry.
- Deep understanding of statistical modeling approaches.
- Experience using R or Python, Github, and the command line.
- Strong communication skills with an emphasis on the ability to explain scientific and statistical concepts clearly.
NICE TO HAVE
- Experience working with an external stakeholder on a risk and recommendations modeling project
- Experience working with large datasets with a requirement to combine disparate datasets such as mobility data, electronic health records, social media data, census data, disease data, etc.
- Experience with infectious disease modeling (ODEs, compartmental models, agent-based models, machine learning)
- Experience with cloud computing platforms, workflow managers, and data visualization
PHC is a startup company, with the attendant excitement, energy, and opportunity for growth that a startup environment entails. The team supports remote-first employment and candidates from anywhere in the US are welcome to apply.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Compensation and benefits are competitive and include generous stock options.
The Public Health Company is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.