The COVID-19 pandemic was an unprecedented challenge for global enterprises and brought widespread social and economic disruption. Many public- and private-sector institutions continue to experience challenges including health safety, risk management, and extensive effort and expense associated with curating and responding to the continuously evolving COVID-19 landscape.
In 2020, the Public Health Company (PHC) was founded with the mission to protect lives and livelihoods by delivering biosecurity intelligence and decision support with unprecedented speed via a global biosecurity platform for public and private enterprise. PHC is a growing world-class team assembled from diverse sectors including public health professionals, tech innovators, data scientists, and infectious disease experts
We are seeking a Data Engineer to produce scalable software solutions for our company.
This role will be one of the first tech hires in the company, giving you an opportunity to build the platform from the ground up. In this role you will be expected to:
- Design and implement a data platform for big data that will drive the other layers of the stack and ultimately push the intelligence to the end user
- Ingest data from a variety of sources, normalize them and store them in a data platform
- Define and implement a data model that will satisfy the needs of internal and external customers of PHC
- Analyze and assemble large, complex sets of raw data to create high quality data that will be useful for internal and external analysis
- Collaborate with data scientists and architects to create the required data layer for projects
- Closely partner with product team on product definitions, time-to-value discussions, and implementation considerations
- Provide technical guidance, communicate technical decisions, and mentor junior engineers
- Work with all levels within the company including executive leadership to bring big data solutions to the end users
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering, or related field
- 6+ years professional experience as a data engineer
- Proven hands-on experience in designing and building solutions for large-scale data infrastructure (including databases, data warehouses, and/or data lakes)
- Proven ability to handle large datasets containing structured and unstructured datasets
- Strong understanding and experience in data modeling, algorithms, and data transformation techniques
- In depth knowledge and experience in at least one of the following development languages: Python, Go, C++, Java, and/or Scala
- Experience with Cloud deployments (GCP preferred)
- Strong communication skills with a high emphasis on the ability to explain technology in business terms and to express opinions clearly
- Solutions oriented – ability to creatively solve problems on the fly
- Ability to make decisions and drive initiatives to completion
PHC is a startup company, with the attendant excitement, energy, and opportunity for growth that a startup environment entails. The team supports remote-first employment and candidates from anywhere in the US are welcome to apply.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Compensation is very competitive and includes salary and stock option grants.
The Public Health Company is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.