The Outline is looking for our first General Manager to help us as we build a great company and rapidly grow our audience and revenue.
The GM is responsible for helping the COO and executive team build and refine our business processes, tools, and reporting. We’re a startup and need to be able to move quickly, so this role has the interesting challenge of designing light processes that achieve our goals without compromising flexibility. You will work with managers to develop processes and tools and then roll out this new process to the team. You’ll then determine how we measure these changes and refine them as the company grows.
This is a great role for someone with a strong business strategy background who wants to learn by helping grow a startup.
This position reports to the COO.
- Develop and prioritize a list of processes for creation or reevaluation, implement, measure, iterate.
- Help with creation of board decks and board management strategy.
- Help Revenue, Editorial, and Audience Development teams with data analysis to make them more effective
- Find things that we aren’t doing but should be. Do them.
What we are looking for:
- You have experience either at a top-tier management consulting firm, as a VC analyst, or at another tech/media startup
- You are excited about the opportunity to build something (often creating a plan or process where none exists)
- You care about the future of online journalism and storytelling
- You are quantitative and data driven
About The Outline:
Launched in Dec. 2016 by Joshua Topolsky (Vox Media Co-Founder, former Bloomberg Digital Content Chief), The Outline is a new kind of digital media company for a new generation. We cover stories about power, culture, and the future with uncompromising honesty and using the newest storytelling technology. We believe that it's more important to be loved by a specific audience than to be known by everyone.
We’re a small (but growing) team based in NYC, and are backed by some of the best VCs in the business.
Independent Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual's sex, age, race, color, creed, national origin, alienage, religion, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation or affectional preference, gender identity and expression, disability, genetic trait or predisposition, carrier status, citizenship, veteran or military status and other personal characteristics protected by law. All applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to legally protected characteristics.