The Org is the world’s biggest network of public org charts. We empower start-up leaders to show off their team, attract more talent, and build a better organization. Our mission is to make organizations more transparent because we believe that transparency will lead to a more connected and equitable professional community. You can learn more about The Org here.
Software Engineer - Data
We're looking for a software engineer with a passion for working with data to join our team in New York.
In this role, you will be the primary owner of our data crawling and ingestion initiatives focused on ensuring that we have the most complete and accurate collection of org charts worldwide. You’ll devise tooling and scalable processes to expand and maintain it. The job entails activities in all areas of the data pipeline, from thinking about potential data sources and connecting these to transforming and validating the inlet and ingesting it into our core data warehousing.
We’re looking for a creative engineer that will use their mastery of Python to build out this pipeline. A person who is not scared to get their hands dirty with SQL statements and proof of concept implementations of web crawlers and batching data transformations.
What you will do:
- Work closely with our growth team to discover new sources of team and company information that complement our existing data
- Take ownership of the processes that ingest, validate, and store this information and drive our data quality numbers up and work to implement them
- Work cross-functionally with our research team to ensure efficiency and good communication on shared activities
- Python is required, Scala is a nice-to-have for this role
- Amazon RDS for PostgreSQL relational databases
- AWS tools for deployment, such as Step Functions and EC2 instances
- SQL proficiency, for querying DBs, warehouse, and occasional BI
- Retool and Metabase for data interaction and result visibility
Who you are:
- You have an entrepreneurial mindset, maybe you’ve been part of a smaller fast-moving startup before. Maybe you’ve built prototypes aimed at solving some sort of pain.
- You are curious and creative. You like to tinker and experiment with new ideas and enjoy solving problems. You are open-minded and have a good feel for when to move fast over building an extendable long-term solution
- You have a strong work ethic. You work independently and understand the need to be solution-oriented and take extreme ownership of the business problems at hand.
- Working in a team comes naturally to you, you are easy to work with, and you value others' input
- You’re passionate about software development…it’s not just your career, it’s your hobby. You’re constantly striving to learn new things and improve. You follow industry news, regularly hack away with new technologies, and read books and blogs to keep your skills current.
What we offer:
- Competitive salary and equity package
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Unlimited paid vacation
- Generous paid parental leave
- Professional development budget, wellbeing subsidy, commuter benefits
- Penthouse office in Soho, Manhattan with an outdoor terrace
- Lunches and a fully stocked kitchen with drinks and snacks
- International travel opportunities
- Read more about our benefits here
Do the dishes: We value people that put the team first and do whatever is necessary regardless of your seniority or what your job description says. Sometimes that might mean you literally need to do the dishes.
Go for it!: We value people that take initiative and execute on their ideas. We take ownership and passionately seize opportunities to create, to learn, and to grow. We run towards a problem, rather than away from it, and fail fast and learn from our mistakes.
Be a contrarian: We dare to go against popular beliefs and seek out principle-first solutions over incremental progress. We aim to find the best solution, not the obvious one or the one that’s been found by others before.
Hygge: A Danish word meaning “cozy”, “belonging” or “togetherness”, representing the way we treat our office community. We value diversity and seek out people who want to join the “hygge”.
Learn out loud: We work transparently, dare to be vulnerable, and own our imperfections. Learning from each other builds a strong common ground from which everyone can grow together.
- Curious to see who you will be working with? Meet the team right here: https://bit.ly/3ygWVTo
- Check out our public employee handbook to learn more about The Org: https://bit.ly/3yjhIWl
- This role is expected to be an L2 technical NYC position. Please see our salary ranges here: https://bit.ly/3CyJhgF
- If you have any questions about the role or the company, please feel free to reach out to the hiring manager at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Org is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The company supports diversity and inclusion in its core values and does not discriminate against qualified employees or applicants because of race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual preference, sexual identity, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, military status, or any other characteristic protected by federal or state law or local ordinance. When necessary, the company will reasonably accommodate employees and applicants with disabilities if the person is otherwise qualified to safely perform all of the essential functions of the position. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.