We are The Markup (https://themarkup.org/)—a nonpartisan, nonprofit journalism organization in New York City. We investigate how powerful actors use technology to reshape society. With little accountability or oversight, technology is affecting how we vote, how we raise our kids, who is able to get housing, jobs, healthcare, and have a comfortable life. You deserve to know more about how this is happening, and what you can do about it. That’s where The Markup’s hard-hitting journalism comes in.
The Markup is seeking an innovative, entrepreneurial, collaborative Editor-in-Chief to direct its journalism. With its focus on tech accountability, The Markup uses impact as its primary metric of success. The ideal candidate will share this outlook and have a track record of leading journalism that has made a difference. The Editor-in-Chief will report to the CEO.
- Lead The Markup’s unique investigative and explanatory journalism, cultivating deep collaboration between engineers, data journalists, and investigative reporters, as well as across the organization
- Guide editorial vision, including hiring, firing, standards, and building world-class journalistic teams to serve The Markup’s mission
- Hold the newsroom to the highest ethical standards and creating a culture of cooperation and inclusiveness
- Set and maintain newsroom budgets
- Understand, champion, and help shape initiatives to ensure The Markup maximizes its reach and impact, and remains financially healthy
- Help build and maintain strategic relationships with partners
- 10-plus years editing experience, including investigative work
- Editorial fearlessness and unimpeachable news judgment
- Ideally, experience in coverage of technology; at minimum, strong interest in the topic area
- Experience working with a diverse roster of staff and freelance contributors
- Experience with visual storytelling and interest in editorial design and photography
- An entrepreneurial mindset and enthusiasm for collaborating with business colleagues
- Enthusiasm for shepherding complex, data-driven stories
- Exceptional leadership skills and emotional intelligence
- Grit, wit, kindness, and a strong work ethic are vital at The Markup. We strongly encourage applicants with diverse experiences and backgrounds to apply.
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time position with a competitive salary of $300,000 plus generous benefits, including medical, vision, and dental insurance, 20 days of paid time off each year, paid family leave including five months of paid parental leave, and 401(k) matching. We also want to encourage your leadership in our field, so we will support attending industry conferences and professional training.
We are open to a remote option for strong candidates, so long as you are willing and able to travel as required.
Here’s what you should know about us
Our mission is woven into everything we do. We don’t take shortcuts, even if that means searching high and low for the right newsletter platform or taking the time to perfect an investigation. We pride ourselves on an organizational culture that is rigorous, collaborative, and courageous.
The Markup is committed to becoming an antiracist organization. We do our best to center justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion in all that we do—of which hiring is just one part. We encourage you to ask us about what concrete steps we are taking in service of these ideals. We strongly encourage applicants who are people of color, LGBTQ, people with disabilities, and/or formerly incarcerated people. A college degree is not required.
Come do your best work with us. We’re excited to meet you!
How to apply
To apply, please fill out the form below. A cover letter is required. Please do not contact the hiring manager directly, and please do not send a résumé to staff at their individual email addresses.
If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, don’t hesitate to contact email@example.com.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, country of origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or any other category protected by local, state, or federal laws.
Research shows that underrepresented applicants often downplay their skills. This is not an entry-level position, but if your experience doesn’t exactly match the qualifications listed, we still want to hear from you. Please apply!