We are The Markup (https://themarkup.org/)—a nonpartisan, nonprofit journalism organization in New York City. We investigate how powerful actors use technology to reshape society.
With little accountability or oversight, technology is affecting who we vote for, how we raise our kids, and who is able to get housing, jobs, healthcare, and have a comfortable life. You deserve to know more about how this is happening, and what you can do about it.
We are The Markup (https://themarkup.org/)—a nonpartisan, nonprofit journalism organization in New York City. We investigate how powerful actors use technology to reshape society. With little accountability or oversight, technology is affecting how we vote, how we raise our kids, who is able to get housing, jobs, healthcare, and have a comfortable life. You deserve to know more about how this is happening, and what you can do about it. That’s where The Markup’s hard-hitting journalism comes in.
But telling the truth takes time and money. As we grow our operation, we are hiring a Development Director to support our work.
About the Position
We're looking for a well-rounded Development Director to join our team. You will be our first on-staff development hire, and will have the opportunity to design our development strategy in close consultation with executive leadership and board members. You will report directly to the President. If you are thrilled by the prospect of building and executing a strategy that will fundamentally shape the future of The Markup, this job is for you.
The deadline to apply is July 21, 2021.
- Grow our major gifts program, including research, prospecting, identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of major donors
- Design a comprehensive, multi-year development plan with clear execution strategies
- Cultivate relationships with existing and prospective donors through direct contact, and support the President, board, or others in engaging those relationships as recommended
- Oversee development of grant proposals and reports used in foundation fundraising to ensure a high quality, consistent voice that reflects core values
- Work collaboratively with other areas, including Audience and Product, to advance fundraising goals
- Maintain accurate and complete records of donor communications
- Expand monthly giving, mid-level donations and major gifts by deploying tailored plans for individual and groups of donors, including special events, fundraising campaigns, educational briefings, written communications, etc.
- Seasoned development professional with a proven track record.
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to speak and write persuasively about our mission and fundraising goals
- Ability to forge and sustain long-term relationships with multiple external constituencies, including donors and the board of directors
- Ensure the organization’s fundraising practices comply with best practices
- Ability to work independently, handle diverse tasks, meet deadlines, and attend to follow-through in a lean organization
- Experience with budgeting, planning, and project administration
- Grit, wit, kindness, and a strong work ethic are vital at The Markup. We strongly encourage applicants with diverse experiences and backgrounds to apply.
Nice to Have
- Experience working with a newsroom
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time position with a competitive salary plus generous benefits, including medical, vision, and dental insurance, 20 days of paid time off each year, paid family leave including five months of paid parental leave, and 401(k) matching. We also want to encourage your leadership in our field, so we will support attending industry conferences and professional training.
We are open to a remote option for strong candidates, so long as you are willing and able to travel as required.
Here’s what you should know about us
Our mission is woven into everything we do. We don’t take shortcuts, even if that means searching high and low for the right newsletter platform or taking the time to perfect an investigation. We pride ourselves on an organizational culture that is rigorous, collaborative, and courageous.
The Markup is committed to becoming an antiracist organization. And as an organization led by women, we do our best to center justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion in all that we do—of which hiring is just one part. We encourage you to ask us about what concrete steps we are taking in service of these ideals. We strongly encourage applicants who are people of color, LGBTQ, people with disabilities, and/or formerly incarcerated people. A college degree is not required.
Come do your best work with us. We’re excited to meet you!
How to apply
To apply, please fill out the form below. A cover letter is strongly recommended. Please do not contact the hiring manager directly, and please do not send a résumé to staff at their individual email addresses.
If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, don’t hesitate to contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, country of origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or any other category protected by local, state, or federal laws.
Research shows that underrepresented applicants often downplay their skills. This is not an entry-level position, but if your experience doesn’t exactly match the qualifications listed, we still want to hear from you. Please apply!