We are The Markup (https://themarkup.org/) — a nonpartisan, nonprofit journalism organization based in New York City. We're hiring!
The Markup Copy Editor/Producer is our last line of defense against errors, typos, lack of clarity and missing context.
We don’t just care about getting the grammar right (though we do need help with that!), we care deeply about getting the story right—and that’s everyone’s responsibility here at The Markup. This role plays an especially important part in that. We believe words matter and context matters.
The successful candidate will bring “fresh eyes” to find weaknesses in copy we may have overlooked, such as fact errors, grammatical errors, holes, lack of clarity, fairness or context, and potential tone issues around how the story may be received. The Markup’s story editors welcome questions that can help us make our journalism strong and clear. As the last person to read the copy, you will be in a unique position to help carry our work across the finish line to publication.
The Copy Editor/Producer reports to the Editor-in-Chief.
The deadline to apply is December 2.
- Copy editing investigative and explanatory news articles, newsletters, social media posts, and our technically detailed Show Your Work methodologies, including suggesting headlines, deks and sub-heads.
- Copy editing graphics, captions and other material on the website.
- Fact checking articles for dates, names, titles and basic math and additional fact checking as necessary. An example might be: does a source have a connection to the story subject that got past the reporter that we should know about?
- Posting the latest articles to our website through our CMS.
- Organizing the home page and updating series pages on the website.
- Maintaining and updating the style guide and making recommendations on style.
- Upholding the newsroom’s editorial standards & updating the standards documentation.
- Working with publishing partners to adjust style differences and coordinate production.
- Posting corrections, clarifications and updates to news articles.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Four to five years experience working as a copy-editor in a newsroom.
- Deep knowledge of AP style.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- A commitment to fairness.
- Ability to work quickly and accurately under deadline pressure.
- An understanding of newsroom editorial standards.
- Familiarity with Wordpress is a plus.
- Familiarity with working with Google Docs is a plus.
- Proficiency with standard HTML, CSS, is a plus but not required.
Compensation and Benefits
This job is full time, with a competitive salary and generous benefits including medical, vision, and dental insurance, 20 days of paid time off each year, paid family leave, and 401(k) matching.
Ideally, this role would be based in New York, but since we all live on video-conference now, we are open to a remote option for strong candidates.
Here’s what you should know about us
We investigate how powerful actors use technology to reshape society. With little accountability or oversight, technology is affecting who we vote for, how we raise our kids, who is able to get housing, jobs, healthcare and have a comfortable life. You deserve to know more about how this is happening, and what you can do about it.
This mission is woven into everything we do. We don’t take shortcuts -- even if that means searching high and low for a newsletter platform that doesn’t track readers or taking the time to perfect an investigation. We pride ourselves on an organizational culture that is inventive, rigorous, collaborative, and courageous. We genuinely like each other and celebrate other team members’ successes as if they were our own.
The Markup is committed to becoming an antiracist organization. And as an organization led by women, we do our best to center justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion in all that we do -- of which hiring is just a part. We encourage you to ask us about what concrete steps we are taking in service of these ideals. We strongly encourage applicants who are people of color, LGBTQ, people with disabilities, and/or formerly incarcerated people. A college degree is not required. Grit, wit, kindness, and a strong work ethic are necessary.
Come do your best work with us. We’re excited to meet you!
How to apply
To apply, please fill out the form below and submit a cover letter and resume. Please do not contact the hiring manager directly, and please do not send a resume to staff at their individual email addresses.
If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, don’t hesitate to contact email@example.com.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, country of origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or any other category protected by local, state, or federal laws.