We are The Markup (https://themarkup.org/) — a nonpartisan, nonprofit journalism organization based in New York City. We're hiring!
About the Position
We are looking for our first Director of Product! This senior leadership role will bridge strategy and digital product management to drive The Markup through its early growth stage.
The Director of Product will be, among other things, responsible for optimizing the delivery of The Markup’s work, including its service journalism, investigative projects, newsletters, and other innovative tools. You will also design and help build our privacy-protective approach to audience measurement, including our unique analytics tool and design of our qualitative research. You will have two reports, and you will report to the President as your team develops products in service of The Markup’s audience, growth, and revenue goals.
- You will lead product innovation around the delivery of our cutting-edge reporting, including optimizing our content management system and website
- You will translate the product strategy vision into action by executing on business case development, competitive analysis, product-market fit, product differentiation, and identify success and failure metrics
- You will explore product opportunities in privacy-protecting tools developed internally, including our privacy-preserving analytics
- You will set expectations and supervise the team’s sprint-to-sprint collaboration and execution
- You will grow a culture of experimentation, collaboration, and innovation that supports user research, design, and testing of new products and audience experiences
- You have an eye for compelling design, and will advocate and build on behalf of what’s best for the audience experience
- You will be an ambassador for The Markup’s mission and privacy promise, which means we put our readers’ privacy first and collect as little information as possible
- Prioritization. You know how to assess tradeoffs and impacts to promote good decision-making, and bring clarity to complex spaces. You have strong project management skills
- Experiment-friendly. You have expertise in rapid deployment and iterative experimentation, including metrics, A/B testing, and market research
- Independence. You are comfortable with a small team and with rolling up your sleeves. You are comfortable with being both strategic and operational in a small team and have a track record of “figuring it out”
- Excellent communication. You pride yourself on your communication skills, and are comfortable communicating with all members of the organization regardless of their level of technical expertise
- Technical understanding. You have technical knowledge and can navigate and communicate system architecture and understand the technical dependencies of your projects. Ideally, you have a track record of using and supporting open-source tools.
Compensation and Benefits
This job is full-time, with a competitive salary and benefits including medical, vision, and dental insurance, 20 days of paid time off each year, paid family leave including five months of fully paid parental leave, and 401(k) matching. We also want you to be an industry leader, so we will support attending industry conferences and professional training.
Ideally, this role would be based in New York, but since we all live on video-conference now, we are open to a remote option for strong candidates.
Here’s what you should know about us
We investigate how powerful actors use technology to reshape society. With little accountability or oversight, technology is affecting who we vote for, how we raise our kids, who is able to get housing, jobs, healthcare and have a comfortable life. You deserve to know more about how this is happening, and what you can do about it.
This mission is woven into everything we do. We don’t take shortcuts -- even if that means searching high and low for the right newsletter platform or taking the time to perfect an investigation. We pride ourselves on an organizational culture that is rigorous, collaborative, and courageous.
The Markup is committed to becoming an antiracist organization. And as an organization led by women, we do our best to center justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion in all that we do -- of which hiring is just one part. We encourage you to ask us about what concrete steps we are taking in service of these ideals. We strongly encourage applicants who are people of color, LGBTQ, people with disabilities, and/or formerly incarcerated people. A college degree is not required. Grit, wit, kindness, and a strong work ethic are necessary.
Come do your best work with us. We’re excited to meet you!
How to apply
To apply, please fill out the form below. Please do not contact the hiring manager directly, and please do not send a resume to staff at their individual email addresses.
If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, don’t hesitate to contact email@example.com.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, country of origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or any other category protected by local, state, or federal laws.
Research shows that underrepresented applicants often downplay their skills. This is not an entry-level position, but if your experience doesn’t exactly match the qualifications listed, we still want to hear from you. Please apply!