We are The Markup (https://themarkup.org/) — a nonpartisan, nonprofit journalism organization based in New York City. We're hiring!
We are looking for a driven, detail-oriented chief of staff to report to the President on operational matters and strategic initiatives. As a key member of the executive team, you will have a problem-solving mindset, comfort with managing complex projects, and a get-it-done approach to our work. You will act as a stand-in for the President in certain meetings and take on special projects.
The deadline for applications is October 21.
- You will manage the day-to-day operations for the administrative side of The Markup
- You will help define organizational strategies for optimized efficiency and productivity
- You will oversee special projects and initiatives from development through successful execution under the guidance of the President, including external relations and internal culture-building
- You will own behind-the-scenes preparation to make the President’s initiatives successful, including the research, tracking, monitoring, and execution of action items
- You will act as an advisor, collaborator, and thought partner to the President
- Project management. You set clear timelines and drive projects to completion. You are adept at connecting work streams that would otherwise remain siloed, while respectful of boundaries (especially around editorial independence in a news organization)
- Communication. You are direct, concise, and resilient. You speak and write with a situation-appropriate tone, whether over the phone, in person, e-mail, memos, PowerPoint, snail mail, or social media channels.
- Research. You know how to ask the right questions to get the right answers. You are curious and meticulous, but also creative when it comes to finding a solution.
- Trustworthy. You handle confidential and sensitive information with humility and professionalism. You can be a truth teller when your boss needs another perspective.
Nice to Haves
- Experience preparing a budget and/or strategic plan
- Experience with developing short-term, nimble strategy
- Experience with workforce management
Compensation and Benefits
This job is full-time, with a competitive salary and benefits including medical, vision, and dental insurance, 20 days of paid time off each year, paid family leave including five months of fully paid parental leave, and 401(k) matching. We also want you to be an industry leader, so we will support attending industry conferences and professional training.
Ideally, this role would be based in New York, but since we all live on video-conference now, we are open to a remote option for strong candidates.
Here’s what you should know about us
We investigate how powerful actors use technology to reshape society. With little accountability or oversight, technology is affecting who we vote for, how we raise our kids, who is able to get housing, jobs, healthcare and have a comfortable life. You deserve to know more about how this is happening, and what you can do about it.
This mission is woven into everything we do. We don’t take shortcuts -- even if that means searching high and low for the right newsletter platform or taking the time to perfect an investigation. We pride ourselves on an organizational culture that is rigorous, collaborative, and courageous.
The Markup is committed to becoming an antiracist organization. And as an organization led by women, we do our best to center justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion in all that we do -- of which hiring is just one part. We encourage you to ask us about what concrete steps we are taking in service of these ideals. We strongly encourage applicants who are people of color, LGBTQ, people with disabilities, and/or formerly incarcerated people. A college degree is not required. Grit, wit, kindness, and a strong work ethic are necessary.
Come do your best work with us. We’re excited to meet you!
How to apply
To apply, please fill out the form below. A cover letter is appreciated but not required. Please do not contact the hiring manager directly, and please do not send a resume to staff at their individual email addresses.
If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, don’t hesitate to contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, country of origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or any other category protected by local, state, or federal laws.
Research shows that underrepresented applicants often downplay their skills. This is not an entry-level position, but if your experience doesn’t exactly match the qualifications listed, we still want to hear from you. Please apply!