Welcome. We are The Markup (https://themarkup.org/) -- a new nonpartisan, nonprofit journalism organization in New York City. We're hiring!
Our mission is to investigate and illuminate the societal effects of new technologies. With little accountability or oversight, technology is affecting who we vote for, how we raise our kids, who is able to get housing, jobs, healthcare and a comfortable life. We will investigate these impacts, with the goal of holding the powerful to account, raising the cost of bad behavior, and spurring reforms. We begin publishing in 2019.
The Markup is committed to building a team that includes a wide variety of backgrounds and perspectives, and an organizational culture that is reader-centered, inventive, rigorous, collaborative, and courageous. We won't tolerate jerks. We aim to be a place where a diverse mix of dedicated people will want to come, to stay, and do their best work.
We strongly encourage applicants who are people of color, LGBTQ, women, people with disabilities, and/or formerly incarcerated people, and a college degree is not required. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, please contact email@example.com. We are an equal opportunity employer, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, country of origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or any other category protected by local, state, or federal laws.
About the Position
The Markup is looking for a full-time audience engagement editor to join our newsroom. The editor will present our public face and engage with and grow our audience on major social media platforms including Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram, as well as manage and help write our weekly email newsletter.
In the course of engaging with the public and increasing the reach of our content, the editor will develop and exercise effective engagement techniques native to each platform to maximize the social impact of our editorial work, while also respecting our readers’ privacy.
We are a new organization so this position is crucial in helping define and launch our brand. This person will suggest, help determine and execute strategic plans to grow a loyal audience.
A typical day might include joining an editorial meeting for a long-term investigation and making suggestions or begin crafting a strategy for those stories on social, re-upping Markup stories that are relevant to a news story breaking that day, writing a memo to staff on where our stories have been traveling, and brainstorming with the Editor-in-Chief about possible topics for the upcoming email newsletter.
The successful candidate should be passionate about our subject matter -- technology’s effect on society -- and have a track record of designing and executing successful social campaigns, preferably around journalistic work.
This position will report to the Managing Editor of Investigations initially.
- Authoring and curating all of The Markup’s official social media accounts.
- Engage directly with people on social media on behalf of the organization by promoting our stories online, answering questions, having public conversations, taking feedback, and escalating to appropriate colleagues when necessary.
- Following the conversation and trending topics on social media and resurfacing our previously published stories and explainers that would be relevant to the conversation.
- Collaborate with editors daily and on longer term projects to optimize reach through social platforms.
- Help reporters develop their own voices and brands, and promote them through The Markup’s audience engagement channels.
- Coordinate social media efforts with our publishing partners.
- Track spontaneous social media activity and reporting concerning The Markup and our stories and compile in regular reports. Escalate to appropriate colleagues when necessary.
- Tailor content for each social media platform for maximum impact.
- Coach and guide colleagues to effectively engage on social platforms.
- Manage and help write the weekly email newsletter, and think of creative ways to promote it.
- Excellent written communication skills.
- Significant experience & demonstrated portfolio running or contributing to a strategic social media presence for a business or professional entity.
- Strategic thinking and deep and evolving knowledge of what strategies and stories are best suited for different types of platforms, including newsletter and emerging products.
- Basic understanding of web technologies, and related user privacy issues.
Nice to haves
- Experience assigning and developing graphics that will travel well in newsletter and on social platforms
- Experience working in a journalistic organization
We pay people fair and reasonable salaries, in accordance with their skills, abilities, and experience. We also provide a generous benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, life, disability, parental leave, fertility support, pet insurance, and retirement plan contributions.
The salary for this position begins at $60,000 and will be established based on the successful candidate's experience, education and skills.
How to apply
To apply, please fill out the form below. Please include a short, 1-page proposal on audience engagement strategy for The Markup for its first year. Please do not contact the hiring manager directly, and please do not send a resume to staff at their individual email addresses.
This position will work out of our New York City office. If you don't currently live in New York but are willing to relocate for this position, please make that clear in your cover letter.
At this time, due to our status with our fiscal sponsor, we unfortunately cannot consider applications from people who don't already have the legal right to work in the United States. In order to work for The Markup, a project of NEO Philanthropy, you'll be required to provide documentation establishing that you're eligible for U.S. employment.
The deadline to apply is December 20, 2019.