Welcome! We are The Markup (https://themarkup.org/) — a new nonpartisan, nonprofit journalism organization in New York City. We're hiring!
Our mission is to investigate and illuminate the societal effects of new technologies. With little accountability or oversight, technology is affecting who we vote for, how we raise our kids, who is able to get housing, jobs, healthcare and a comfortable life. We will investigate these impacts, with the goal of holding the powerful to account, raising the cost of bad behavior, and spurring reforms. We begin publishing in 2019.
The Markup is committed to building a team that includes a wide variety of backgrounds and perspectives, and an organizational culture that is reader-centered, inventive, rigorous, collaborative, and courageous. We aim to be a place where a diverse mix of dedicated people will want to come, to stay, and do their best work.
We strongly encourage applicants who are people of color, LGBTQ, women, people with disabilities, and/or formerly incarcerated people, and a college degree is not required. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. We are an equal opportunity employer, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, country of origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or any other category protected by local, state, or federal laws.
About the Position
Reporting to the President, the Chief Revenue Officer will be accountable for all revenue streams, centered on revenue that will enable The Markup to be funded from sources outside of major donors and foundations.
While The Markup has runway thanks to significant early philanthropic support, The Markup seeks to begin developing new revenue streams immediately that are in keeping with our privacy promise to readers. We don’t agree with the common practice of making the audience unwittingly “pay” for journalism by allowing third parties to track their readers. Instead, we will seek creative ways to generate revenue to support our groundbreaking data-driven journalism.
Over the next eighteen months to two years, The Markup will develop a memberships & donation strategy, pursue sponsored initiatives and events, and start to explore education and licensing opportunities. The Markup’s CRO will be responsible for managing all revenue streams, as well as testing and building sustainable reader-derived revenue through crowdfunding, membership and/or subscription strategies.
The CRO will be a key member of the leadership team. For this role, we are looking for a person who is smart, curious and engaged in the world. The CRO will have an entrepreneurial mindset, be energetic, flexible, inventive, analytical, and comfortable with ambiguity. She or he will have a collegial and collaborative style, with an inclination towards transparency.
Audience Acquisition & Monetization
● Develop and execute a cohesive marketing strategy for The Markup, with the goal of increasing brand awareness, audience and financial support.
● Test and build new reader revenue strategies, with the goal of maximizing The Markup’s support from individual readers and supporters of The Markup’s journalism and mission.
Campaign Tracking & Analytics
● Help establish privacy-respectful analytics and metrics to gauge progress against goals.
● Lead audience insights to better understand user and potential user demographics, behaviors, attitudes, and needs.
● Test and evaluate best acquisition and retention channels for both new and existing individual supporters.
● Work with President to identify and build other revenue streams including sponsorship of initiatives and events, and education and licensing fees.
● Work with President, Editor-in-Chief, and other staff to conceive and implement a comprehensive development strategy to continue to grow foundation, major donor and other philanthropic support.
● Innovative revenue leader with experience in positioning and building a consumer-facing product, service, or brand.
● Expertise in audience development and growth, audience engagement, and customer acquisition and retention.
● Track record of success in testing and implementing new consumer strategies across social, digital, and mobile platforms.
● Experience with direct-to-consumer marketing and selling.
● Clear commitment and track record of accomplishment in building diverse teams.
Nice to Haves
● Background with a media or journalistic organization desirable but not required.
We pay people fair and reasonable salaries, in accordance with their skills, abilities, and experience. We also provide a generous benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, life, disability, parental leave, fertility support, pet insurance, and retirement plan contributions.
The salary for this position starts at $225,000, and will be established based on the successful candidate's experience, education and skills.
How to Apply
To apply, please fill out the form below and submit a cover letter and resume. Applications that don't include a cover letter will not be considered. Please do not send a CV or application package to staff at their individual email addresses.
This position will work out of our New York City office. If you don't currently live in New York but are willing to relocate for this position, please make that clear in your cover letter.
At this time, due to our status with our fiscal sponsor, we unfortunately cannot consider applications from people who don't already have the legal right to work in the United States. In order to work for The Markup, a project of NEO Philanthropy, you'll be required to provide documentation establishing that you're eligible for U.S. employment.