Welcome. We are The Markup (https://themarkup.org/) — a new nonpartisan, nonprofit journalism organization in New York City. We're hiring!
Our mission is to investigate and illuminate the societal effects of new technologies. With little accountability or oversight, technology is affecting who we vote for, how we raise our kids, who is able to get housing, jobs, healthcare and a comfortable life. We will investigate these impacts, with the goal of holding the powerful to account, raising the cost of bad behavior, and spurring reforms. We begin publishing in 2019.
The Markup is committed to building a team that includes a wide variety of backgrounds and perspectives, and an organizational culture that is reader-centered, inventive, rigorous, collaborative, and courageous. We won't tolerate jerks. We aim to be a place where a diverse mix of dedicated people will want to come, to stay, and do their best work.
We strongly encourage applicants who are people of color, LGBTQ, women, people with disabilities, and/or formerly incarcerated people, and a college degree is not required. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. We are an equal opportunity employer, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, country of origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or any other category protected by local, state, or federal laws.
About the position
The Markup is looking for a full-time Graphics Editor to join our growing newsroom. The graphics editor will work alongside reporters, editors and developers to produce high-quality visuals for our investigative and explanatory stories. These visuals – which will include data visualizations, interactive graphics and illustrations – will greatly enhance our stories, and help make our data-driven journalism relatable to the widest possible audience. The graphics editor will also be tasked with producing visuals for social media, static story graphics and other visual assets. As our newsroom is new, this position will offer a unique opportunity to help define how we use visuals in our stories.
- Produce story graphics, illustrations and basic charts in coordination with the editors
- Produce bite-sized shareable visuals for a social media audience
- Help develop our artwork templates for our story visuals
- Some experience creating visuals for a newsroom
- Strong creative visual communication skills; a good eye for design
- A solid understanding of best practices for data visualization
- Strong Adobe Creative Suite skills (Photoshop, Illustrator)
- Able to collaborate and communicate effectively with remote and distributed teammates, track multiple projects and manage deadlines
Nice to Haves
- Familiarity creating data-driven interactive graphics in D3 or other data visualization frameworks
- Experience with basic video editing, motion graphics and animation (Adobe AfterEffects)
- Experience conceptualizing and executing editorial illustrations
- Experience with art direction and commissioning freelance illustration
- Experience creating graphics with R and additional packages
- Familiarity working with command line tools
- Familiarity with git
- Experience working with a mission-driven nonprofit organization
We pay people fair and reasonable salaries, in accordance with their skills, abilities, and experience. We also provide a generous benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, life, disability, parental leave, fertility support, pet insurance, and retirement plan contributions.
The salary for this position begins at $70,000 and will be established based on the successful candidate's experience, education and skills.
How to apply
To apply, please fill out the form below and submit a cover letter, resume and 6-10 samples of graphics or story artwork that you created. Applications that don't include a cover letter will not be considered. Please do not contact the hiring manager directly. Please do not send a CV or application package to staff at their individual email addresses.
This position will work out of our New York City office. If you don't currently live in New York but are willing to relocate for this position, please make that clear in your cover letter.
At this time, due to our status with our fiscal sponsor, we unfortunately cannot consider applications from people who don't already have the legal right to work in the United States. In order to work for The Markup, a project of NEO Philanthropy, you'll be required to provide documentation establishing that you're eligible for U.S. employment.