Welcome. We are The Markup (https://themarkup.org/) -- a brand new nonpartisan, nonprofit journalism organization in New York City. We're hiring!
Our mission is to investigate and illuminate the societal effects of new technologies. With little accountability or oversight, technology is affecting who we vote for, how we raise our kids, who is able to get housing, jobs, healthcare and a comfortable life. We will investigate these impacts, with the goal of holding the powerful to account, raising the cost of bad behaviour, and spurring reforms. We begin publishing in 2019.
The Markup is looking for a full-time lead designer to join our growing Product and Technology department.
The Markup is committed to building a team that includes a wide variety of backgrounds and perspectives, and an organizational culture that is reader-centered, inventive, rigorous, and courageous. A collaborative team-based approach is core for us: we won't tolerate jerks. We aim to be a place where a diverse mix of dedicated people will want to come, to stay, and do their best work. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, country of origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, or veteran status.
About the Position
The lead designer will be responsible for design decisions and design personnel across our websites, tools, and publications. The lead designer’s early focus will be prototyping and creating requirements for our main news site, refining design standards in our brand book, and building our internal design team and practices. Later, in close collaboration with engineers, the editorial team, and others working in various design-related disciplines, the lead designer will build and maintain a positive, intuitive, and consistent user experience for The Markup’s new content and features, while leaving plenty of room for innovation and the development of techniques we use to effectively tell complicated and data-heavy stories to wide and varied audiences. This role reports to the Head of Product and Technology.
- Prototype, design, and help build the user experience for our main news site. Define requirements to be implemented for the final product.
- Help evolve our brand. Ensure we are sticking to our own standards across all of our official publications, by keeping and updating our brand book.
- Incorporate design research into our design process, gathering both qualitative and quantitative measures of success.
- Hire and manage a small team of in-house interactive graphics designers.
- Cultivate a list of short-term contractors and freelance professionals in photojournalism, illustration, interactive graphics, and various design disciplines to employ for story-specific design deliverables. Decide what work will be done in-house, and contract for the rest.
- Coordinate with Editorial, Product and Technology, and the design team to maintain quality, consistency, and accuracy in all our design choices.
- Bachelor’s degree (or work equivalent) with a focus on design and/or computer science.
- Deep familiarity and trust in the principles of design research and user testing.
- Highly collaborative working style with engineers and journalists. Able to plug in to other teams, and adapt to their workflows.
- Basic understanding of standard web technologies and their benefits/limitations.
- Able to drive a small team through the entire design process, from prototype to finished product and beyond.
- Demonstrated capacity to plan and execute improvements in an iterative manner.
- Comfortable working with git.
- Able to work effectively with remote and distributed teammates.
Nice to Haves
- Past experience doing design work for online news organizations.
- Familiarity with agile methodology and typical agile workflows.
- Track record of using and supporting open-source tools.
- Experience working with a mission-driven nonprofit organization as a employee or volunteer.
We pay fair and reasonable salaries, and we offer a generous benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, life, disability, pet insurance, and retirement plan contributions.
The salary for this position begins at $90,000, and will be established based on the successful candidate's skills, abilities and experience.
How To Apply
To apply, please fill out the form below. Applications that don't include a cover letter will not be considered. Please do not contact the hiring manager directly. Please do not send a CV or application package to staff at their individual email addresses. If you do, it will probably just get lost.
This position will work out of our New York City office. If you don't currently live in New York but are willing to relocate for this position, please make that clear in your cover letter. We will pay relocation expenses for successful candidates.
At this time, we can't consider applications from people who don't already have the legal right to work in the United States. In order to work for The Markup, you'll be required to provide documentation establishing that you're eligible for U.S. employment.