Welcome. We are The Markup (https://themarkup.org/) -- a brand new nonpartisan, nonprofit journalism organization in New York City. We're hiring!
Our mission is to investigate and illuminate the societal effects of new technologies. With little accountability or oversight, technology is affecting who we vote for, how we raise our kids, who is able to get housing, jobs, healthcare and a comfortable life. We will investigate these impacts, with the goal of holding the powerful to account, raising the cost of bad behaviour, and spurring reforms. We begin publishing in 2019.
The Markup is looking for a full-time DevOps Engineer to join our growing Product and Technology department.
The Markup is committed to building a team that includes a wide variety of backgrounds and perspectives, and an organizational culture that is reader-centered, inventive, rigorous, and courageous. A collaborative team-based approach is core for us: we won't tolerate jerks. We aim to be a place where a diverse mix of dedicated people will want to come, to stay, and do their best work. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, country of origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, or veteran status.
About the Position
The DevOps Engineer will have an active role architecting, implementing, and maintaining technical infrastructure to support both user-facing and internal systems. The majority of our early technical efforts will be focused on standing up new scaleable systems which prioritize user privacy, security, and system reliability. This role reports to the Head of Product and Technology.
- Take charge of our current technical infrastructure, including building out an auditable deploy pipeline, and configuring CI / automated testing tools on various code repositories.
- Increase our internal visibility and improve incident response time with monitoring and alert systems.
- Help identify, host, and maintain internal tools and applications needed to meet org-wide requirements.
- Assume an active role navigating security concerns throughout our systems and practices. Perform risk assessments and technical risk mitigation. Work with us to build out emergency response and disaster recovery plans.
- Periodically assess our systems to ensure user privacy and security are upheld.
- Bachelor’s degree (or work equivalent) with a focus on computer science.
- Deep knowledge and experience with Linux systems, operations, and networking.
- Experience owning or sharing responsibility for web architecture at scale.
- Familiarity with cloud infrastructure best practices to ensure user privacy, security, and availability for both public and internal environments.
- Ability to navigate complex trade-offs between immediate and long-term needs, and design for continuous improvement.
- Track record of using and supporting open-source tools.
- Excellent diagnostic and troubleshooting skills.
- A passion for security and user privacy.
- Strong mentorship skills. Must be motivated to share knowledge and educate others, particularly around data security issues.
- Able to work effectively with remote and distributed teammates.
Nice to Haves
- Familiarity with AWS, Terraform, Kubernetes, Elasticsearch, GitLab, PostgreSQL.
- Prior responsibility for the hosting, upgrading, and security patching for customized instances of user-facing open source web applications such as Wordpress, Mediawiki, CiviCRM, etc.
- Experience working with online payments systems, and PCI certification.
- Experience working with a mission-driven nonprofit organization as a employee or volunteer.
- Familiarity with agile methodology and typical agile workflows.
We pay fair and reasonable salaries, and we offer a generous benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, life, disability, pet insurance, and retirement plan contributions.
The salary for this position begins at $110,000, and will be established based on the successful candidate's skills, abilities and experience.
How To Apply
To apply, please fill out the form below. Applications that don't include a cover letter will not be considered. Please do not contact the hiring manager directly. Please do not send a CV or application package to staff at their individual email addresses. If you do, it will probably just get lost.
This position is open to applicants based anywhere in the United States.
At this time, we can't consider applications from people who don't already have the legal right to work in the United States. In order to work for The Markup, you'll be required to provide documentation establishing that you're eligible for U.S. employment.