Job Title: Fashion and Grooming Editor
Reports to: Managing Editor
FLSA: Salary, Exempt, Full-Time
Location: Portland, Oregon
The Manual is an online men’s lifestyle publication headquartered in Portland, Oregon. Our mission is simple — we show men how to live a life that is more engaged. Whether it be fashion, food, drink, travel, grooming, or the outdoors, we to provide insight into it all. As our name implies, we offer a suite of expert guides on a wide range of topics, from how to tie a bowtie to how to cook a steak. We don’t boss you around. We’re simply here to bring authenticity and understanding to all that enriches our lives on a daily basis.
Who We Are Looking For:
The fashion and grooming editor is a team leader at The Manual, shaping coverage in their topic areas, hiring and managing freelance writers, and ensuring deep, thorough reporting. As a thought leader in the industry, they also write in-depth features and educational guides. They are passionate about educating readers and representing all communities at The Manual. Broad knowledge of the current societal and lifestyle landscape is a necessity.
What You'll Do:
- Develop and maintain expert-level knowledge up-to-date trends in the fashion and grooming sections of The Manual.
- Oversee every level of production in your sections, including assigning and managing stories, freelancers, and projects.
- Hire and train new writers with an eye and ear to quality, speed, and voice.
- Identify top-performing articles and potential top-performing ideas.
- Standardize guides with repeatable benchmarks and procedures.
- Maintain relationships with key representatives in the industry to ensure timely coverage.
- Write informed profiles, thoughtful analysis, and educational guides.
- Represent the publication within both the media and fashion and grooming industries on video, radio, and in print.
- Provide constructive, forward-looking input to help shape The Manual’s editorial standards.
- Represent all communities in our coverage.
- Other duties as assigned.
What We Require:
- Excellent writing and editing skills; able to write in a style that is interesting to the core audience.
- Communication and interpersonal skills. Able to communicate and provide feedback effectively to others.
- Able to handle conflict and adjust to changes in a fast-paced environment.
- Able to work with a small team and cover BLANK.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks effectively and meet deadlines.
- Excellent organizational, managerial, and administrative skills.
- College degree in journalism or related field preferred.
- Experience working with web content management systems (WordPress preferred).
- Comfortable working with HTML.
- Photography and/or videography skills are a plus.
What’s In It For You:
- Exceptional benefits package including: medical, prescription, dental and vision insurance, 401k, flexible spending accounts, pre-tax commuter transit and parking benefits, paid parental leave, sabbatical leave after 5 years of service, flexible paid time off, life insurance, company-paid short-term and long-term disability.
- Fun working environment! Our perks include free beer and kombucha on tap, free coffee, free drinks and snacks, games in the office, big-screen TVs, bike racks, in-office shower, in-office laundry machines (while testing them for reviews), full kitchen, and much more!
- Company-paid Tri-Met pass for public transit in Portland, Oregon
- Free membership to gym within our office building
The Manual is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage, value, and honor diversity.