The Information was founded in late 2013 with a simple idea: write deeply reported articles about the technology industry that you won't find elsewhere. Since then, we've become a disruptor in business news that’s moved markets, gotten the early scoop on billions of dollars of acquisitions, and told you what's happening inside companies like Apple, Meta and Google. As a subscription-only publication, we aim high and take on challenging stories and adhere to the highest of journalistic standards. What we put into the work is just as in-depth as our output. We've attracted tens of thousands of paying subscribers who look to us for breaking news stories and features. As we look to expand our coverage in alignment with the needs of our subscribers, we continue to invest aggressively in our team.
The cloud computing wars between Amazon Web Services, Microsoft, Google and others are reshaping how businesses operate. The Information is looking to expand its industry-leading enterprise technology coverage with a reporter to focus on these major forces and how they wield power as well as their strategy, leaders and future. Part of the position will involve working with editors on an exciting new database project about the cloud computing industry. This franchise will help the reporter generate stories for The Information and bring more transparency to a field in which financial information about cloud or AI deals is guarded like a state secret.
The position will build on the work of our team, which has revealed the surprises and complications that companies face when they move to the cloud. The horse race between the top cloud providers also promises to be dramatic. And the beat will delve into cybersecurity and artificial intelligence as those fields become more important to businesses. AWS and other cloud topics are consistently a top interest of The Information subscribers, which means this beat comes with a significant and serious audience on day one, and the power for great expansion.
- Report and write stories about cloud software involving AWS and other key companies
- Oversee and help develop a database project involving the cloud computing industry
- Write in-depth features and profiles, and break news about personnel, products, deals
- Bachelor’s degree
- Professional reporting experience
- A track record of original reporting, whether in business, technology, politics or other fields
- This position is based in San Francisco
Please submit a resume and a cover letter that describes your interest in The Information, your background in journalism, and examples of articles or projects where your reporting or leadership made an impact. Please direct us or attach clips of your work.
- Company-paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their dependents
- Basic life insurance
- Generous paid leave that increases over time
- A parental leave policy for new parents
- 401(k) corporate match
- Flexible Spending Account
- Commuter benefits
- A gym and fitness stipend
- A highly professional, inclusive, diverse workplace with a zero-tolerance policy for harassment
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We are committed to diversity and to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages.