The Information was founded in late 2013 with a simple idea: write deeply reported articles about the technology industry that you won't find elsewhere. Since then, we've become a disruptor in business news that’s moved markets, gotten the early scoop on billions of dollars of acquisitions, and told you what's happening inside companies like Apple, Meta and Google. As a subscription-only publication, we aim high and take on challenging stories and adhere to the highest of journalistic standards. What we put into the work is just as in-depth as our output. We've attracted tens of thousands of paying subscribers who look to us for breaking news stories and impactful features. As we look to expand our coverage in alignment with the needs of our subscribers, we continue to invest aggressively in our team.
We go far beyond publishing tools: We build the software that presents the news mobile app and Web, manages subscriptions for multiple newsletters, and uses big-data analytics as well as AI to deliver the right content to the people who care most—for our own news publications and those of our partners. To serve that goal, we use an ever-expanding variety of technologies.
We’re looking for engineers with a few years of experience in both front- and back-end Web development, and a passion for building great online products for a smart audience. We continuously design and build new features that are seen by an incredible community of tech insiders who demand smooth functionality. You’ll be contributing ideas and building features end-to-end designed to deliver the right news to the right people, very, very fast.
- Build new functionality in the public website, internal tools, email services, app, and other code repos
- Work directly with design, product, and other teams to settle UI and architecture. A product-oriented mindset is essential for our coding work!
- Manage your own work from early design, through deployment, to verifying data results in production
- Contribute actively in code reviews, both giving and receiving ideas
- Share your knowledge and experience with the rest of the engineering and product team and participate in our culture of learning and teaching
- 2+ years web development experience on client and server sides
- Solid ability with CSS and higher tools (SASS, SCSS etc) and ability to articulate your preferences for style organization
- Familiarity with at least a couple of these web infrastructure services: SQL/Postgres, Redis, asynchronous jobs such as Sidekiq or DelayedJob
- Experience writing automated tests and a clear understanding of the different values of different levels of tests
- Good design instincts
- Company-paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their dependents
- Basic life insurance
- Generous paid leave that increases over time
- A parental leave policy for parents
- 401(k) with corporate matching
- Flexible Spending Account
- Commuter benefits
- A gym and fitness stipend
- A highly professional, inclusive, diverse workplace with a zero-tolerance policy for harassment
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We are committed to diversity and to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages.