The Information was founded in late 2013 with a simple idea: write deeply reported articles about the technology industry that you won't find elsewhere. Since then, we've become a disruptor in business news that’s moved markets, gotten the early scoop on billions of dollars of acquisitions, and told you what's happening inside companies like Apple, Meta and Google. As a subscription-only publication, we aim high and take on challenging stories and adhere to the highest of journalistic standards. What we put into the work is just as in-depth as our output. We've attracted tens of thousands of paying subscribers who look to us for breaking news stories and impactful features. As we look to expand our coverage in alignment with the needs of our subscribers, we continue to invest aggressively in our team.
We are looking for a reporter to cover the future of video streaming and media publishing. This beat is an opportunity to go deep inside of Netflix, Disney+, Warner-Discovery and the video arms of Apple and Amazon—which have become major forces in entertainment—and to explore their relationship with Hollywood. The television industry also has been transformed by hardware, as Roku and other TV makers try to replicate the gatekeeper role cable and satellite TV operators played in the past.
We want a reporter with the curiosity and skills to write the stories that aren’t being told, such as how Netflix and rival apps decide what shows to promote to customers and how the rush to build streaming businesses has caused organizational chaos at Disney, Warner (owner of CNN, HBO) and other companies. The Information has a long history of covering these industries as well as the digital news, audio and video upstarts—from Vice and Vox to The Athletic and Spotify—that compete with the established brands.
- Report and write stories about streaming and media companies.
- Write in-depth features and profiles of key figures.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 4+ years of professional reporting experience
- A proven track record of original reporting, whether in business, technology, politics or other fields
- This position is based in New York or San Francisco
- Company-paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their dependents
- Basic life insurance
- Generous paid leave that increases over time
- A parental leave policy for parents
- 401(k) with corporate matching
- Flexible Spending Account
- Commuter benefits
- A gym and fitness stipend
- A highly professional, inclusive, diverse workplace with a zero-tolerance policy for harassment
We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We are committed to diversity and to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages.