The Information is the go-to source of insight, analysis and in-depth reporting for the most influential leaders in technology and business. Founded in 2013 and headquartered in San Francisco, we believe that original, high-quality journalism has the power to inform the most consequential decisions shaping our future, and we’ve built a community of tens of thousands of subscribers who depend on us to do just that. We are a growing and financially healthy business, plenty of capital and big ambitions to play a major role in the future of high quality news and journalism. We’re looking for a Product Manager to join our team—someone who can harness collaboration and creativity across engineering, design, growth, and the newsroom to create world-class experiences for our readers.
Who Are You?
You’re both an adept product thinker and a maniacal executor—you’re just as comfortable brainstorming the future of how people experience journalism as you are developing project plans, running stand-ups, and coordinating between engineers and marketers.
You can think abstractly and tactically. You know how to balance the needs and demands of delivering product and experiences 'tomorrow’ while also spotting big opportunities and ‘seeing around corners’ to set up our platform and business for ever-more impact and success in the future.
You can handle complexity—you might be focusing on an editorial launch one day and an app redesign the next, all while coordinating a multi-platform marketing campaign and a database restructure.
You get your energy from building: products, processes, documentation, culture. You’re inventive but disciplined, flexible but highly structured. To succeed in this role, you’ll need to wear many hats, communicate across teams early and often, and bring your passion and enthusiasm along the way.
- Identify “big bets” and opportunities, often out of ambiguity, and coalesce stakeholders around a common product roadmap, vision, and strategy
- Incorporate data, customer feedback, and other qualitative and quantitative insights to drive product outcomes
- Proactively identify opportunities for improved efficiencies—and guide them to fruition, in partnership with a wide array of colleagues
- Oversee a number of different products and projects, from our website and app to newsletters, email marketing platform, CRM, and more
- Run a high-octane product-development and -management process, with support from our head of product but also independently, often without explicit direction
- Collaborate closely with and motivate a cross-functional group of engineers, designers, marketers, editors, and external agencies to launch, optimize, and maintain products
- Develop and maintain longer-term roadmaps as you aggressively manage and solve daily priorities, bug fixes, and product improvements
- 5+ years of experience in product management
- Demonstrated track record of full product-lifecycle management, from discovery and design to shipping and optimization, with a focus on incorporating customer feedback
- Ability to define strategy and vision for new and nascent products
- Experience with B2C brands a plus
- A penchant for collaboration, and a generous approach toward working with a wide range of colleagues and stakeholders
- Technical experience—strong technical fundamentals, ideally including at a minimum SQL and at least one programming language
Roles at The Information come with a competitive salary and the opportunity for a significant annual bonus.
We have excellent benefits, including:
- Company-paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their dependents
- Basic life insurance
- Generous paid leave that increases over time
- A parental leave policy for new parents
- Flexible Spending Account
- Commuter benefits
- A gym and fitness stipend
- A highly professional, inclusive, diverse workplace with a zero-tolerance policy for harassment
- Beautiful offices in the heart of the Financial District in San Francisco with an outstanding view—that we plan to return to soon!