We’re looking for a freelance engineer/producer for The Information's 411, a 5-year old weekly podcast about tech, media, venture capital and the culture surrounding it. The podcast is produced by The Information, an independent, highly regarded business news publication that does deep reporting and investigations on the tech and media industries. We’re a small, driven team, passionate about the podcast and highlighting the reporting of The Information’s amazing staff.
The producer/engineer would be responsible for editing the 20-minute podcast, so full proficiency and ownership of editing software is necessary. The content of the podcast is mostly interview-format, with some narrated features thrown into the mix. The role requires a commitment of 3-5 hours per week, and involves working closely with podcast hosts and other journalists on the team.
Audition or ProTools software is a huge plus. There is no time-fixed contract, and we’re looking for someone who can stick around for a while.
- Cutting down 20-minute 2-way interviews to 10 minutes
- Editing and sound-designing scripted features
- Applying basic scoring and using noise reduction tools
- Coaching podcast participants on best recording practices, generally overseeing remote recording
- Attending a weekly podcast meeting with the hosts to plan the week’s episode
- 1-3 years of experience editing podcasts
- Interest/experience in how tech companies shape society, diving into the details of how they operate and how that affects us all
- Interest in producing narrative-driven features
Please share links to podcast episodes you have engineered or edited.
We strongly encourage people from traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, particularly people of color. We are committed to diversity and to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages.