The Information is looking for an accomplished, product-focused app engineer to join our team based in San Francisco.
The Information is an independent business publication known for original, in-depth reporting about the technology industry. We're the go-to daily read for the most important people in technology and business and are building a one-of-a kind community of subscribers. With offices in San Francisco, New York, and Hong Kong, we have a sustainable business, plenty of capital and big ambitions to grow our business and team.
We’re looking for an experienced engineer to become our lead app developer. You’ll be our in-house expert on React Native development, developing new features and handling their release through Apple's and Google's app stores. You’ll also share your expertise with the rest of the engineering team, who are server-side developers eager to train up on the client side.
Candidates should be interested not simply in building from a spec, but collaborating on what features to build and how they should work. We always look for engineers with a passion for great user experience and opinions about what works well and what doesn’t. Since we want developers to be able to work self-sufficiently, you should also have experience with server-side coding and creating server-side API support for new client-side features. Enthusiasm for other server-side development is a big plus.
Our small team loves to learn from each other. You'll see that we keep a low-ego coding environment and we’re comfortable talking about our own mistakes so we can learn from them, and we expect the same from you. We paircode and review each other's work often so that all can learn.
You should be excited to contribute ideas on the product side and develop them iteratively with our stakeholders. When you have questions, we expect you to know when to take them to your lead, and when to take them directly to non-engineering colleagues to get the work done.
- 3+ years professional coding experience, including:
- 1+ year of professional app development experience
- 1+ year experience in React or React Native
- 1+ years server-side coding experience, in Ruby, Python, or NodeJS
- At least one publicly available iOS app built and supported
- Eagerness to teach these things to others, and to learn from teammates
- Familiarity with at least a couple of these web infrastructure services: SQL, Redis, asynchronous jobs, payment processing
- Solid ability with CSS and ideally higher-level tools (SASS, SCSS etc)
- Good design instincts
Engineering roles at The Information come with a competitive salary and the opportunity for a significant annual bonus.
We have excellent benefits, including:
- Company-paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their dependents
- Basic life insurance
- Generous paid leave that increases over time
- A parental leave policy for new parents
- Flexible Spending Account
- Commuter benefits
- A gym and fitness stipend
- A highly professional, inclusive, diverse workplace with a zero-tolerance policy for harassment
- Beautiful offices in the heart of the Financial District in San Francisco with an outstanding view… that we hope we'll return to soon!
Our staff also get the chance to contribute to open-source projects and blog about their work here.