We’re on a mission to build the world’s greatest restaurant discovery platform, and we’re looking for a skilled editor to help us expand in Texas. In this role, you would edit and manage one of our growing markets - Austin - along with helping us launch The Infatuation in both Houston and Dallas. If you’re right for this role, you are passionate about these cities and their restaurants, but you’re even more passionate about editing and mentoring talented writers.
We're looking for an experienced words person - ideally someone who is also familiar with our brand. We're looking for the kind of editor who can spot a misplaced comma in their sleep, but who really thrives on developing structure, voice, and tone. You should be excited to work in partnership with our writers on their reviews and guides, hashing out their ideas and working to find the perfect phrase together. In other words, this is not red-line, transactional editing. Our editors and writers work in partnership with one another.
We’re looking for someone who also doesn’t have strong ties to the restaurant industry. Cool if you’ve edited pieces about restaurants before - less cool (for this job) if all your friends are chefs. Maybe you've edited news stories, or novels, or personal essays, or math textbooks. Probably not math textbooks, but we're open-minded, as long as you’ve had significant experience working one-on-one with writers.
You might be perfect for this role if you:
- Have previous editing experience. You’re comfortable diving into a piece of writing and know how to give constructive feedback to writers.
- Have some management experience. You've ideally overseen small teams and will be comfortable having writers report to you.
- Possess excellent copy-editing and fact-checking skills. You love grammar and would lose sleep over a missing comma or a misspelled menu item.
- Are passionate about restaurants, and the great state of Texas. You're the kind of person who plans trips around what you're going to eat, and you're the friend in the group who picks the restaurant.
- Are knowledgeable about Austin, Houston, and Dallas (or have at least spent some time in each of them). You feel like you truly understand what makes these cities both great and unique.
- Understand the Infatuation voice and brand, and know we don’t use words like “foodie” or “nestled” or “toothsome.” You’ve read our reviews and guides, and hopefully you’ve used The Infatuation to find a great restaurant.
- You live in Austin or Houston
What you'd do in this role:
- Edit every review, guide, newsletter, and social caption for The Infatuation Austin, and future Houston and Dallas content.
- Manage writers in Austin, Houston, and Dallas.
- Act as a liaison between the Texas-based editorial team and the NYC editorial HQ.
Benefits & Perks:
- Subsidized health, vision, and dental care
- Flexible Spending Account
- 401K program
- Stock options
- Flexible vacation policy - employees are encouraged to take at least 13 vacation days a year
- Lunch provided every day