We’re on a mission to build the world’s greatest restaurant discovery platform, and we’re looking for the right people to help us launch our next Infatuation city: Miami. If you’re right for this job, you are passionate about Miami and the restaurants in it, but you’re even more passionate about editing and mentoring talented writers. Our Staff Editor will manage our Staff Writer, oversee every piece through from conception to publish, and generally make The Infatuation Miami the best restaurant review site it can be.
We're looking for an experienced editor who is also familiar with our brand, and excited about the idea of launching a new Infatuation market from scratch. In the months leading up to launch, this role requires a lot of strategic thinking, working with our New York-based editorial team to build a content plan that maximizes our resources and delivers the best possible product to our readers.
If you’re right for this role, you can also spot a misplaced comma in your sleep, and you enjoy developing structure, voice, and tone. You’ll be working closely with a writer on reviews and guides, hashing out ideas and finding the perfect phrase together. In other words, this is not red-line, transactional editing. Our editors and writers work in close partnership with one another.
We’re looking for someone who doesn’t have strong ties to the restaurant industry. Cool if you’ve edited pieces about restaurants before - less cool (for this job) if all your friends are chefs. In terms of editing experience, it's essential that you've worked one-on-one with writers in a professional context, ideally for several years.
- This is not your first editing job. You’re comfortable diving into a piece of writing and know how to give constructive feedback to writers.
- Serious project management skills. Launching a new Infatuation city requires a ton of micro- and macro-level organization, so if you’re not someone who enjoys thinking about details, scheduling, and contingency plans, this isn’t the right job for you.
- Some people-management experience preferred. You've ideally overseen small teams and will be comfortable having writers report to you.
- Excellent copy-editing and fact-checking skills. You love grammar and would lose sleep over a missing comma or a misspelled menu item.
- Passion for restaurants. You're the kind of person who plans trips around what you're going to eat, and you're the friend in the group who picks the restaurant.
- Knowledge about Miami. You feel like you truly understand this city inside and out.
- Understanding of the Infatuation voice and brand. You read our reviews and guides, follow our social channels, and might even subscribe to one of our newsletters.
- Edit every review, guide, newsletter, and social caption for The Infatuation Miami.
- Manage our Miami Staff Writer.
- Help steer the editorial strategy for the launch of Miami, helping decide what the site should publish for launch and afterwards.
- Act as a liaison between the Miami editorial team and the NYC editorial HQ.