Head of Data Engineering
At THE ICONIC, we issue the call to live your way, to liberate yourself from meaningless constraints. It’s time to reach for a better tomorrow, to spend less time searching and more time finding. We are inclusive and inspiring and – as your go-to destination for fashion, sport, beauty and more – we exist to liberate our customers through choice.
Our Tech Team is driven by innovation. Within our agile cross-functional teams, every person has a voice and skills which contribute to the development of amazing products that our customers use every day. They are focused on being fast and creative to bring the best technology to our customers, moving fast to push through MVPs and learn from data insights.
Our Data Engineering teams work to solve complex problems and deliver data to propel our business forward, powering the insights that is used in our decision making.
We are transforming our data architecture to address the needs of the business, moving to the latest technologies in the data space. Our Data engineering team architect, build and maintain our business data architecture which makes up to date, high quality, high integrity, secured data available to internal stakeholders to support critical data-driven decision making.
We have an amazing data team who are excited about the power of data, work closely together, support each other and who are capable of stepping up to any challenge.
What you’ll love about this role…
As the Head of Data Engineering, your role will be to drive the success of your Team. With the below four key pillars for success:
We believe in our people and a critical part of this role is to guide and lead a data team at scale and help with personal career growth through positive leadership, quality mentoring and skilled guidance.
- Provide clarity of vision and direction to the business and Data Engineering team, to create a positive work environment
- Guiding members and setting up the career paths and aspirations for the wider data team
- Creating a team structure and process for work prioritisation which enables the team to achieve excellence while delivering solutions at both high quality and pace
- Own the hiring and growing part of the team with desired changes for most efficient output
Proven Hand-on Technical Prowess
Although we have a relatively larger team, quite often this person might have to jump into work on a live problem, support current members with solving their modelling/analysis roadblocks
- Develop and maintain the Data Platform roadmap, with specific focus on enabling, platform optimisation, managing risk, and technical debt.
- Hands-on expertise with data ingestion, moving data and extensive data munging operations in all of them.
- Current stack includes GCP (BigQuery, Pub/Sub, Kubeflow), AWS (RedShift), SQL Server Analysis Services, Airflow, RStudio Server, Superset and Pentaho.
- Exposure to overall SDLC process for data products - including but not limited to building Docker images, provisioning infrastructure, CI/CD and coding best practices
- Review code and solutions put forwards by the team - Guide the team in developing the most optimal solutions for the business
Strategic Data Vision
A critical part of this role is to possess the vision, skills and experience to define a business data architecture end-state and guide the business and data team through to successful delivery
- Be able to clearly communicate business data strategy to all audience levels, both internal and external
- Quickly understand the current, complex data landscape
- Set a clear company data Platform vision and define a path towards that vision in terms of development, resource use, infrastructure, process and cost management
- Architect and govern scalable, manageable, best practice data solutions
The key aspect of this role is to disseminate what data can achieve and how senior stakeholders and other parts of the business think about approaching data i.e. building credibility with data
- Ability to influence, establish and maintain strong relationships with executive leadership team
- Attend key stakeholder meetings, budget setting & forecast meetings and deliver data solutions for them
- Provide guidance on solving and surfacing long-tailed customer focussed problems
- Run and facilitate data governance sessions that cut across all areas and bring them together
What it takes
- Exceptional People Leadership
- Proven Senior stakeholder management
- 3+ years in a similar role
- 5+ years experience in data team leadership
- 10+ years in the data field, including cloud data exposure
- Possess the skills and experience to set a clear company data vision and define a path towards that vision in terms of development, resource use, infrastructure, process and cost management
- Ability to guide and lead a data team at scale and help them grow into a more robust team following all the best practices
- Strong technical knowledge and hands-on expertise with data at volume, SQL Server and cloud data platforms
- Working knowledge of the overall SDLC process for data products - including but not limited to building Docker images, provisioning infrastructure, CI/CD and coding best practices
- Capability to run and facilitate data governance sessions that cut across all areas and bring them together
Experience in the following a plus
- Strong technical knowledge and expertise with Python
- Proven experience in ecosystem data monetisation strategies
Why you'll love THE ICONIC
- Our culture of learning is an environment that supports and encourages the collective discovery, sharing and application of knowledge. This helps us to continually improve, achieve goals and attain new possibilities every day.
- Fun, collaborative and fast paced environment
- Sweat out the stress using our discounted gym memberships
- Get your knowledge fix with our learning days and learning tools
- No matter what your style is, we have got you covered with our AMAZING staff discount and our famous sample sales!
- Hybrid working environment so you can manage your location across the office and wherever else works for you
- Got a furry friend? Bring them to the office! We LOVE animals.
We are committed to providing reasonable arrangements to all individuals participating in our application and interview process, and while performing job functions. If you require any accommodations or adjustments prior to the submission of your application or throughout your interview process, please contact our Talent Acquisition team directly: email@example.com