At THE ICONIC, innovation drives us; we believe that innovation should not be sitting in a silo team but rather be part of everyone and everything we do & deliver. Every person in tech has a voice and we find that our best products are achieved through collaboration
The Engineering Department plans builds and maintains the technology that drives THE ICONIC. Our ability to deliver fast, safe and scalable solutions are critical in delivering first-class experiences to millions of customers. Our squads are divided into five organisational units (internal product, customer product, platforms, security and helpdesk) that reflect the needs and groupings of our internal and external users.
Working across these units is a team of managers that are dedicated to the constant improvement on engineering craft, career progression & culture. This team is an amplifier for productivity, quality, and innovation across THE ICONIC.
What does success in this role look like?
We’re looking for a passionate engineering leader to join us. This person will be responsible for all technology, software, tools, process, training and culture that enable our engineers to get their work done. Our vision is to give every engineer the best possible experience from the moment they join our team. We do this by driving engagement through tooling, training, and culture.
As an Engineering Manager at THE ICONIC, your primary responsibility is to the people you support; ensuring that they are growing as engineers, delivering healthy technology, and having a great time doing so. A solid technical background is key so that you’re able to challenge your team members to be their best. You will have the opportunity to influence the culture, technical delivery and process.
You'll be focused on the following areas
- You will build and lead a team of engineers through hiring, coaching, mentoring, feedback and hands-on career development.
- Support the timely delivery of technical solutions to address business needs.
- Advocate and advance modern, Agile practices and help develop and evangelise broader engineering and organizational practices, including: Lean Engineering, SCRUM, clean coding/architecture and cross functional teams.
- Grow a diverse, safe, healthy, collaborative engineering culture.
- Facilitate collaboration with other engineers, product managers, and designers to solve challenging problems that affect all people at THE ICONIC.
- Improve the way we gauge performance, engagement and quality of the Engineering team.
- Champion automation of mundane tasks.
- Involvement in compensation planning with P&C.
- Architect and implement learning and training programs that align our team's abilities with technical strategies.
- Iteratively improve the way we on and off-board people.
- Manage long and short term talent acquisition strategies.
- Represent THE ICONIC and its values in public communication around specific projects and community contributions.
- Passionate about the confluence of retail and technology and about enabling our engineers to be more productive in changing how we serve our customers.
- Able to gather metrics and translate them into strategic initiatives that deliver performance and engagement uplifts.
- Guided by the principles of "servant leadership", building trust by putting your team first, and bringing out the best in those around you.
- Able to tailor individual coaching plans based on a person's skills, attributes, and career objectives – giving feedback, setting goals and challenging their team to meet them.
- Able to demonstrate exemplary communication standards that take into account situation, audience, and tone.
- Able to demonstrate strong emotional intelligence and be empathetic to those around them. You are able to understand the motivations, anxieties, and interests of their teams. You understand the aspects of a healthy, inclusive and safe culture. Watching for cracks – taking decisive remedial action when necessary.
- Able to demonstrate a strategic mindset that is flexible, realistic and goal-oriented.
- Eager to apply agile and lean principles to solve problems at any scale.
Location and Key Extras
This role is based in Sydney CBD with great transport, shopping and food districts all within close distance to Hyde Park for those who enjoy lunchtime exercise or just some fresh air! We also offer a number of extras including flexible working arrangements, generous employee discounts, birthday leave and loads of learning opportunities and support.
Health and Wellbeing is extremely important to THE ICONIC, so interviewing and onboarding for this role will be conducted virtually due to COVID-19 and this role will temporarily work from home until further notice.