THE ICONIC is a truly unique brand. We entered the market in 2011 with the vision of defining the future of fashion retail. Since then we have created a brand known throughout Australia by connecting shoppers with the best fashion and sports product through the most inspiring and rewarding shopping experience.
THE ICONIC stands for benchmark-setting experiences (3 hour delivery, access to over 700 top brands, market-leading shopping app), for impassioned communities (connecting Australians fashion and sports lovers through digital innovation), and for our love of the newest in fashion from our 1000+ leading local and international brands. We want to inspire Australians and New Zealanders to constantly explore new sides of their identity, and have a whole lot of fun doing it.
The Engineering Department plans, builds and maintains the technology that drives THE ICONIC. Our ability to deliver fast, safe and scalable solutions are critical in delivering first-class experiences to millions of customers. Our squads are divided into five organisational units (internal product, customer product, platforms, security and helpdesk) that reflect the needs and groupings of our internal and external users.
Working across these units is a team of managers that are dedicated to the constant improvement on engineering craft, career progression & culture. This team is an amplifier for productivity, quality, and innovation across THE ICONIC.
We’re looking for a passionate engineering leader to join us. This person will be responsible for all technology, software, tools, process, training and culture that enable our engineers to get their work done. Our vision is to give every engineer the best possible experience from the moment they join our team. We do this by driving engagement through tooling, training, and culture.
As an Engineering Manager at THE ICONIC, your primary responsibility is to the people you support; ensuring that they are growing as engineers, delivering healthy technology, and generally having a great time at THE ICONIC. A solid technical background is key so that you’re able to challenge your team members to be their best. You will have the opportunity to influence the culture, technical delivery and process.
What you'll do...
- You will build and lead a team of engineers through hiring, coaching, mentoring, feedback and hands-on career development.
- Support the timely delivery of technical solutions to address business needs.
- Advocate and advance modern, agile engineering practices and help develop and evangelise great engineering and organizational practices.
- Grow a diverse, safe, healthy, collaborative engineering culture.
- Facilitate collaboration with other engineers, product managers, and designers to solve challenging problems that affect all people at THE ICONIC.
- Improve the way we gauge performance, engagement and quality of the Engineering team.
- Champion automation of mundane tasks.
- Involvement in compensation planning with P&C.
- Architect and implement learning and training programs that align our team's abilities with technical strategies.
- Auditing and iteratively improving for efficiency the way we on and off-board people.
- Manage long and short term talent acquisition strategies.
- Represent THE ICONIC and its values in public communication around specific projects and community contributions.
Who you are.....
- You are passionate about the confluence of retail and technology and about enabling our engineers to be more productive in changing how we serve our customers.
- You are able to gather metrics and translate them into strategic initiatives that deliver performance and engagement uplifts.
- You are guided by the principles of "servant leadership", building trust by putting your team first, and bringing out the best in those around you.
- You are able to tailor individual coaching plans based on a person's skills, attributes, and career objectives – giving feedback, setting goals and challenging their team to meet them.
- You are able to demonstrate exemplary communication standards that take into account situation, audience, and tone. You are able to understand the subtleties of how effective communication is applied actively and – when required – passively.
- You are able to demonstrate strong emotional intelligence and be empathetic to those around them. You are able to understand the motivations, anxieties, and interests of their teams. You understand the aspects of a healthy, inclusive and safe culture. Watching for cracks – taking decisive remedial action when necessary.
- You are able to demonstrate a strategic mindset that is flexible, realistic and goal-oriented. You are able to balance both short-term and long-term objectives, and how timing, focus, and execution are used to achieve desired outcomes.
- You are eager to apply agile and lean principles to solve problems at any scale.