We’re building a bold lab to redesign how we care for each other in the 21st century, and we’re seeking a Product Designer to join our team.
The Holding Co. is launching out of an exploration of the state of care in the US with Pivotal Ventures, an investment and incubation company created by Melinda Gates, and IDEO. Caregiving—caring for kids, caring for the aging, the work of running households and supporting family life, and more—falls disproportionately on women’s shoulders and can be a barrier to women’s participation in the workforce and society. We’re out to fix that. The Holding Co. is a design-led lab that will partner with innovators through rapid sprints to build the solutions that women and families need to succeed in the modern world. Imagine: more affordable and higher quality childcare, new technology to age in place, new services to ease household labor, new ways for care and work to intersect. We work across venture-backed start-ups, established nonprofits, the public sector, and Fortune 500s to ensure these kinds of solutions achieve product-market fit and reach all families that need them.
This is an important moment in The Holding Co.’s formation, and the Product Designer is central to shaping our work, our team and our relationships with our partners. In this role, you’ll lead and participate in design sprints with innovators building a wide range of solutions to care. Most centrally, you’ll roll up your sleeves and translate our insights and our partners’ big visions and priorities into tangible, elegant digital products rooted in clear product, service, and business strategy. You’ll also shepherd the end-to-end design process: scoping, user research, inspiration, concept development, managing multidisciplinary teams, prototyping, detailed product design, and stewardship of implementation.
- Apply a design-led, human-centered approach to problem solving through sprints (rapid 2-6 week design projects) with portfolio companies across a range of complex care challenges and opportunities
- Partner with colleagues to drive design research and ideation sessions with both families and client experts to translate business, customer, market and competitive realities into product, brand, and experience strategies for care startups, non-profits, corporations, and government entities
- Deliver product design excellence in everything you create for our partners, including flows, screens, UI/UX, concept visualizations, low- and hi-fidelity prototypes, and design systems and documentation
- Infuse a spirit of rapid digital prototyping in every sprint you drive - make concepts tangible quickly and get them in the hands of customers to surface unique insights that propel the design process forward
- Partner with other The Holding Co. teammates to steward portfolio companies and support them on the path to bringing concepts to life
- Inspire and push the The Holding Co. team and portfolio by constantly seeking out and sharing leading-edge practices in the design of digital products, including trends in mobile and web patterns, platform standards and cross-device considerations, accessibility, design systems, and new prototyping and no-code tools.
- Serve as an external champion of The Holding Co. and the opportunity in care in critical design networks and communities
You’re an entrepreneurial product designer with experience collaborating with diverse teams to drive product strategy and create a range of digital products across mobile and web environments. You’ve played a central role in creating products that address complex technological, social, economic, and/or human constraints and considerations, and you’ve shepherded these products across different stages in their lifecycle (from initial ideation to scale). You get energy from making, whether that’s sketching storyboards or product concepts, crafting detailed product flows, or visualizing screens, and you consider your zone of genius to be the intersection of great product strategy and great product design. You are a champion of organizational culture and are enthusiastic about building a creative, inclusive, high-performing culture in a newly launched organization. You are values-driven and lead by example.
You have strong qualifications, including:
- Passion for our north star of seeding a modern system of care for all families
- A successful track record of 2-5 years of relevant experience, ideally with a mix including experience in a high-growth consumer-facing technology company, an early stage startup, innovation lab, and/or a design/digital agency
- Hands-on experience in product design, with a specific emphasis on both mobile and web app product development and a depth in user experience/interaction design. Motion and animation skills are a plus.
- Proven ability to collaborate with teams to understand and shape business objectives, needs, and constraints to inform product and innovation strategy
- The ability to convey concepts through sketches, wireframes, flows, storyboards, high-fidelity mockups, and interactive prototypes
- Extensive experience with a variety of design tools such as Figma, Principle, InVision, After Effects, Illustrator, etc. Working knowledge of HTML/JS/CSS is a plus.
- A hands-on design background with a depth in visual or interaction design, brand, illustration, animation, writing, video or other methods of storytelling preferred
- Experience practicing a human-centered design philosophy and process to navigate a range of different challenges and opportunities
- Strong project management skills that demonstrate an ability to be nimble when adapting to shifting priorities and tight timelines
- Demonstrated skill in verbal, written, and visual communications and the ability to translate research and insights into a clear strategic point of view
- Comfort and competence in building rapport with a range of diverse stakeholders, from the families at the center of The Holding Co.’s work to the innovators which which we partner
- Passion for design, a pulse on emerging trends and technology, and a developed point of view about your work