Senior Brand Designer
We’re building a bold lab to redesign how we care for each other in the 21st century, and we’re seeking a Senior Brand Designer to join our team.
The Holding Co. is launching out of an exploration of the state of care in the US with Pivotal Ventures, an investment and incubation company created by Melinda Gates, and IDEO. Caregiving—caring for kids, caring for the aging, the work of running households and supporting family life, and more—falls disproportionately on women’s shoulders and can be a barrier to women’s participation in the workforce and society. We’re out to fix that. The Holding Co. is a design-led lab that will partner with innovators through rapid sprints to build the solutions that women and families need to succeed in the modern world. Imagine: more affordable and higher quality childcare, new technology to age in place, new services to ease household labor, new ways for care and work to intersect. We work across venture-backed start-ups, established nonprofits, the public sector, and Fortune 500s to ensure these kinds of solutions achieve product-market fit and reach all families that need them.
This is an important moment in The Holding Co.’s formation, and the Senior Brand Designer is central to shaping our work and our team. In this role, you’ll serve as a key member of multidisciplinary design teams supporting innovators that are building solutions at the forefront of care. You’ll collaborate with product designers, researchers, and business strategists to guide the design process from ideation to prototyping to detailed design and implementation, and you’ll serve as the centerpiece of the team’s efforts to visualize brands, concepts, product screens, stories, and more along the way. The design challenges we’re tackling and the mediums and platforms may change, but you’ll always ensure that whatever we’re building has the most visual influence, impact, and delight as possible with our partners and the families they serve.
- Apply a design-led, human-centered approach to problem solving through sprints (rapid 2-6 week design projects) with portfolio companies across a range of complex care challenges and opportunities
- Create and develop compelling brand experiences across our portfolio companies
- Work fluidly across print, web, mobile, video and other media to execute visual design excellence across the breadth of our portfolio, leveraging expertise such as typography, color theory, and more.
- Infuse a spirit of visual storytelling in every sprint you work on - bring research insights to life through human stories, translate rough ideas into compelling concepts through illustration and storyboarding, design looks like prototypes, make future visions tangible through animation, and more
- Partner with other The Holding Co. teammates to steward portfolio companies to bring their products to life by delivering brand assets, design systems and styles guides, UI, and other physical and digital assets to ensure a holistic user experience and cohesive brand ecosystem
- Inspire and push the The Holding Co. team and portfolio by constantly seeking out and sharing leading-edge trends and practices in brand design and visual design, including user interface design, iconography, typography, color theory, illustration, storytelling, and accessibility
- Serve as an external champion of The Holding Co. and the opportunity in care in critical design networks and communities
You’re an entrepreneurial visual designer with experience collaborating with diverse teams to align visual strategy with product strategy and craft a range of product and brand experiences across print, web, and mobile environments. You’ve played a central role in the visual design of products that translate complex technological, social, economic, and/or human constraints and considerations into simple visual experiences. You get energy from making, whether that’s designing a logo mark or an identity system, illustrating a concept, or applying a new visual language to a digital product experience. You love to push ideas into big, bold, and creative places, before reining them in and obsessing over the smallest detail of how they visually expressed. You are a champion of organizational culture and are enthusiastic about building a creative, inclusive, high-performing culture in a newly launched organization. You are values-driven and lead by example.
You have strong qualifications, including:
- Passion for our north star of seeding a modern system of care for all families
- A successful track record 7+ years of relevant experience, ideally with a mix including experience in a high-growth consumer-facing technology company, an early stage startup, innovation lab, and/or a design/digital agency
- Deep craft expertise in visual/communications design, with stylistic breadth and experience across a range of mediums
- Experience using a variety of research methodologies (exploratory, validation, usability, quantitative) and the ability to apply the most appropriate approach for a project’s needs
- The ability to convey rough ideas and early concepts through sketches, storyboards, and high-fidelity mockups
- Extensive experience with a variety of interactive tools such as Figma, Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, Keynote, After Effects, Premiere Pro, etc.
- A hands-on design background with a depth in visual or communications design, brand, illustration, animation, writing, video or other methods of storytelling preferred
- Experience practicing a human-centered design philosophy and process to navigate a range of different challenges and opportunities
- Strong project management skills that demonstrate an ability to be nimble when adapting to shifting priorities and tight timelines
- Demonstrated skill in verbal, written, and visual communications and the ability to translate research and insights into a clear strategic point of view
- Comfort and competence in building rapport with a range of diverse stakeholders, from the families at the center of The Holding Co.’s work to the innovators which which we partner
- Passion for design, a pulse on emerging trends and technology, and a developed point of view about your work