At Flatiron School, we're changing education. For nearly ten years, we've been teaching amazing people how to code and change their lives. We give incredible people the tools to do what they love for a living, and match companies with hires who will do amazing work, take great pride in their craft and view their work as a chance to grow more.
Data Science Technical Coaches (DSTCs) work directly with Flatiron School students, acting as supplementary instructors while students are working through the curriculum. DSTCs interact with students primarily through Flatiron School's “Pair with a TC” service, delivering one-on-one support through text-based chat and through video calls, helping students uncover the solutions to coding and curriculum challenges by guiding them through a process of directed inquiries and incremental hints. Furthermore, DSTCs may have opportunities to provide additional support to students by hosting office hours, leading concept reviews, and being available during lab work time to answer questions and support students as they progress through the curriculum.
In this role, your responsibilities will include guiding students through debugging their code, and through technical challenges while they are working through Flatiron School’s Data Science curriculum, helping them to deepen their understanding of programming concepts, and conducting project review assessments to evaluate student knowledge of a specific content area. Successful DSTCs can inspire and energize students to help them build their confidence as they work through difficult coding challenges.
- Exemplify the developer’s mindset by guiding stuck students through labs efficiently, effectively, and with kindness.
- Pilot our experimental efforts in how to provide the best experience and most positive outcomes.
- Lead study groups, office hours, and concept reviews that deepen our students’ understanding of key concepts.
- Conduct project review assessments by objectively evaluating student knowledge against the Flatiron School standards in each Phase of the curriculum.
- Document student outcomes in learning management systems in a thorough and timely manner.
- Embrace change and thrive in ambiguity by helping students and staff with real-time efforts, like being part of new experiments and initiatives, troubleshooting features that are shared to students, and escalating issues that you need help within a timely manner.
- Use feedback from students through surveys and data to continually improve.
- Integrate feedback given by colleagues and managers.
- Strive to ask questions and provide solutions rather than simply pointing out problems.
- Collaborate with teammates to address outstanding student issues.
- Lean into all Flatiron School’s values: Strive for Excellence, Be a Lifelong Learner, Work Together, Radiate Positivity, Make no little plans, and Nurture Difference.
- Strong Knowledge in Data Science in Python, starting from data manipulation and management all the way to advanced Machine Learning techniques like Deep Learning.
- Strong communication skills, and great judgment about what communications to use in a particular situation or on a particular medium.
- Service orientation: You’re delighted to help people succeed, whether that’s your colleagues at Flatiron School, or the students you’re teaching.
- The ability to work cross-functionally with a variety of colleagues, from Curriculum Writers to Data Science Lecturers, to engineers and designers.
- Available nights and weekends (flexible).
- $30- $35/hr.
For benefits information, visit https://flatironschool.com/careers/.
Important note: For the health and safety of the Flatiron School community, full COVID-19 vaccination is required for entrance to any of our Flatiron School locations — including campuses and offices. In addition, masks will be required onsite at all times at campuses located in cities where transmission is designated as substantial or high, only removing to eat or drink at a designated distanced desk. You can read our more information about our Covid-19 policy and precautions here.
About Flatiron School
Flatiron School teaches passionate, creative people how to launch careers in tech. We’ve been teaching since 2012, and now offer programs in software engineering, data science, product design, and cybersecurity to bring our successful curriculum to more students. We are more than just a school — we are a team of mission-driven individuals trying to align education with reality. Since our inception in 2012, we’ve provided thousands of students with skills, community, and an immersive outcomes-driven program. To achieve these outcomes, we’ve never let ourselves stop growing – we’ve constantly iterated on our curriculum, evolved our teaching techniques, and created technology to improve our students’ learning experience.
Equal Employment Opportunity Commitment
Flatiron School provides equal employment opportunity (“EEO”) to all persons without regard to race, color, religion, age, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, national origin, disability, marital status, citizenship status, veteran status, relationship or association with a protected veteran, military status or any other legally protected characteristic. This includes recruiting, hiring, working conditions, benefits, and other employment matters such as pay, promotion, demotion, transfer, termination, and reduction in force. It is the policy of Flatiron School to comply with all applicable federal, state, and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment and to ensure equal opportunity in all terms and conditions of employment or potential employment. All employment decisions shall be consistent with the principle of equal employment opportunity.
Flatiron School values and encourages diversity and solicits applications from all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, gender, sex, age, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military and veteran status, gender identity or expression, genetic information, change of sex or transgender status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law. Flatiron School is committed to working with people from all walks of life. If you require a reasonable accommodation in any part of the employment process, please contact email@example.com