Who We Are
The Farmer’s Dog was born from a mission to change the landscape of pet health, providing dogs and their humans with honest, smart, and simple care – a fresh proposition in an industry riddled with manipulative and misleading marketing. We’re starting by radically improving the $100 billion pet food market, replacing bulk bags of highly-processed pellets with a personalized subscription service that sends healthy, freshly-made dog food, balanced by top veterinary nutritionists, directly to customers’ doors. Our ultimate goal is to create innovative, honest, and delightful experiences across all aspects of pet care, and we believe our direct-to-consumer business model, holistic approach to growth, and dynamic and forward-thinking culture uniquely position us to shepherd this backwards industry into the future. In our compassionate culture led by our mission-driven leaders, the well-being of dogs is a top priority. Our leadership is acting boldly to find new ways to help dogs live longer, healthier lives as we are committed to seeking a better impact on the world. Our authentic mission is next to none, and we are playing as a team to achieve it every single day.
To date, The Farmer’s Dog has delivered hundreds of millions of meals nationwide. Join us as we continue to develop ways of bringing peace of mind to our customers, health to their companions, and much-needed change to the way people feed and care for their pets.
Where You'll Come In
The Farmer’s Dog is seeking its first General Counsel to help us rapidly scale the organization. We are looking for a dynamic thought leader to help the company navigate the many legal and strategic opportunities and challenges as the business grows. The General Counsel will report into the CEO and advise the Board and executive leadership in driving strategic matters while carrying out our mission. You will lead the legal function as it partners with the business to address all legal matters, which may include contracts, IP, employment law, regulatory, governance, risk management, financing and other matters as they arise.
How You'll Make An Impact
- Provide legal partnership, guidance, and risk reduction strategies to our Executive leaders. This includes providing legal guidance to address transformational and day to day business matters
- Matters may include commercial contracts, IP, employee matters, regulatory analysis, etc.
- Transformational initiatives include building optionality for public markets, M&A, international expansion, lobbying, etc.
- Maintain efficient and effective relationships with outside counsel on litigation and corporate financing matters
- Collaborate with other members of the executive team
- Lead the company's legal department to meet the needs of the business. This includes designing the ideal structure, hiring, retaining and developing talent
- Advise on legal risks of existing and new business activities
- Liaise with the internal businesses and operational personnel (i.e., credit, compliance, operations, treasury, tax, etc.)
- Promote an environment that supports diversity, equity and inclusion and reflects TFD’s brand
- Ensure legal compliance regarding across all aspects of the company landscape
- Perform other duties as required or assigned from time to time
We're Excited About You Because You
- The ideal candidate started their career in private practice and then transitioned in-house to perform roles of increasing responsibility, ultimately to General Counsel or Deputy General Counsel
- Possess corporate law experience in areas such as: public companies, capital raising, M&A, litigation, IP- Brand support
- Admitted to NY bar (or to a state with reciprocity)
- Take a business partner approach as a proactive partner that provides critical recommendations
- Have confidence and expertise to make timely decisions and possess time management and deal prioritization skills
- Possess strong interpersonal, communication and leadership skills with ability to sustain effective relationships with peers, employees, and external stakeholders
- Are comfortable with areas where there is no clear answer. In this respect, the candidate must have superior problem-solving skills to present a reasoned, defensible response
- Are committed to high integrity, ethics and professionalism consistent with TFD’s values
Our DEI Philosophy:
Our company’s mission is rooted in deep, genuine care for dogs – and for the people who love them. As an organization we are full of individuals who are unique in many ways, but all united in a mission of providing true peace of mind to dog lovers everywhere. Fixing this industry and improving the lives of pets and their people will be a difficult, decades-long endeavor. We believe the best use of our time, energy, and resources as a collective team is to focus on this mission, and on supporting our team to do their best work and be their best selves. In support of this we’re committed to hiring and supporting a diverse workforce, and investing in internal structures, opportunities, hiring/promotions processes, and training that create and sustain an inclusive team. We strive to provide an experience at TFD that will be invested, meaningful and memorable as we progress on the journey to reimagine how we feed and care for our pets.
A Few of Our Best Benefits
- Dog-friendly office in Greenwich Village
- Market-competitive compensation and equity packages
- Comprehensive Healthcare, Dental, and Vision
- 12 week paid parental leave
- Competitive 401k plan with company match
- Flexible PTO
- Discounted fresh food for your pup
- Your pet interrupting video calls (and in-person meetings) is now a feature, not a bug
The office is open and available for all Monday through Friday. We ask all team members to be in office a minimum of 2-3 days a week to build a collaborative and invested environment to foster our unique in-person culture we are proud to have. This office policy is subject to change at company discretion.
We commit to building a competitive compensation package and company environment for all individuals to thrive. We believe in competitive base compensation rooted in location specific market data and performance along with equity ownership in the company that allows every team member to build their personal wealth as the company grows, just as much as we believe in fostering a culture that supports our team members personally, professionally, and holistically. For this role the anticipated hiring base compensation range is $250,000 - $300,000 USD Annual and the compensation offered will include a robust market competitive package of base and equity. In addition to your base compensation offer you will also receive equity ownership in the company. More information about the value of this equity will be shared at the time of offer. This range is representative of NYC Market Data if you are applying to this role outside of the NYC area the range may change.