Who We Are
The Farmer’s Dog is the fastest growing pet health service company in the US, and was born from a mission to change the landscape of pet health, providing dogs and their humans with honest, smart, and simple care – a fresh proposition in an industry riddled with manipulative and misleading marketing. We’re starting by radically improving the $100 billion pet food market, replacing bulk bags of highly-processed pellets with a personalized subscription service that sends healthy, freshly-made dog food, balanced by top veterinary nutritionists, directly to customers’ doors. Our ultimate goal is to create innovative, honest, and delightful experiences across all aspects of pet care, and we believe our direct-to-consumer business model, holistic approach to growth, and dynamic and forward-thinking culture uniquely position us to shepherd this backwards industry into the future.
To date, The Farmer’s Dog has delivered hundreds of millions of meals nationwide and raised over $150M in funding to help us build a company as healthy as the dogs who are eating those meals. Join us as we continue to develop ways of bringing peace of mind to our customers, health to their companions, and much-needed change to the way people feed and care for their pets.
Where You'll Come In
The Farmer’s Dog is looking for an Engineering Manager to join and support our growing Platform function. The Engineering Department is building a subscription e-commerce platform from the ground up to support hundreds of thousands of orders being shipped out every single day. The Engineering Manager will partner with our VP of Engineering to provide development, coaching, and mentorship to our function; refine processes, and help with multi-functional management.
We view Platform Engineering as a "successful" function when Software Engineers are able to deliver their software to end-users quickly, safely, while feeling a high degree of ownership throughout the process. The Platform Engineering function helps bridge the gap between IT Operations and Software Engineering for our service groups. This group is responsible for building and maintaining our software infrastructure, tools, and services that engineers and other technical users collectively use in a self-service fashion as a platform.
This Engineering Manager will need to own performance management and ensure successful group development. On a day-to-day basis, this person will partner closely with our current Platform Engineers, Product Managers and Engineers to craft the product and improve processes while removing roadblocks and uncertainty.
How You'll Make An Impact
- Support a group of 3+ engineers with a focus on mentorship, coaching and personal development
- Grow and lead a group of hardworking and motivated engineers with high expectations around individual ownership and impact
- Cultivate an inclusive, respectful, and dynamic group
- Develop a healthy and collaborative culture that is true to The Farmer’s Dog’s values
- Enable the group to deliver outstanding output
- Participate in system design and architecture conversations
- Represent the group in high-level, cross-disciplinary road-mapping discussions
- Advocate for the group and remove obstacles
We're Excited About You Because
- You should have at least 7+ years of professional experience working in a software related field
- 3+ years of recent experience working as a Platform Engineer, DevOps Engineer, or SRE
- 1+ years of recent, engineering management experience with a range of responsibilities from developing talent to growing your group into a robust, healthy development organization
- Experience efficiently delegating group responsibilities, conducting 1:1’s, and providing frequent, transparent, meaningful feedback
- Experience architecting for high-scalability and availability
- Must have hands-on experience using AWS or CNCF projects
- Familiar with Terraform, Docker, Ansible, and Kubernetes
We support our team members with the flexibility to thrive, professionally and personally. Currently all hybrid team members are asked to be in the office for 2 Gathering Days a week to continue to build a collaborative, lively, and invested environment - a unique in-person culture we are proud of. Gathering Days are Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, however the office will be open and available for all Monday through Friday. This hybrid policy can be subject to change at company discretion.
- Dog-friendly office in Greenwich Village
- Market-competitive compensation and equity packages
- Comprehensive Healthcare, Dental, and Vision
- Competitive 401k plan with company match
- 12 week paid parental leave
- Flexible PTO and (when in office) WFH policy
- Discounted fresh food for your pup
- Your pet interrupting video calls (and in-person meetings) is now a feature, not a bug
We commit to building a competitive compensation package and company environment for all individuals to thrive. We believe in competitive base compensation rooted in location specific market data and performance along with equity ownership in the company that allows every team member to build their personal wealth as the company grows, just as much as we believe in fostering a culture that supports our team members personally, professionally, and holistically. For this role the anticipated hiring base compensation range is $180,000 - $200,000 USD Annual and the compensation offered will include a robust market competitive package of base and equity. In addition to your base compensation offer you will also receive equity ownership in the company. More information about the value of this equity will be shared at the time of offer. This range is representative of NYC Market Data if you are applying to this role outside of the NYC area the range may change.