WHO WE ARE
The Farmer’s Dog was created to radically improve the $90 billion global pet food industry — starting with a subscription service that sends freshly-made food directly to customers’ doors. Long term, our aim is to simplify every part of pet care, bettering the lives of the animals who make our lives better. We recently raised our Series B and are backed by early investors of Warby Parker, Dollar Shave Club, Sweetgreen, and Glossier.
Join The Farmer’s Dog team as we continue to figure out ways of bringing peace of mind to customers, health to their companions, and much-needed change to the way people feed and care for their pets.
WHAT'S THE ROLE?
At The Farmer’s Dog, we have a very strong culture of making data-driven decisions. The Data Strategy & Insights team, specifically, works on constantly bringing our whole organization to higher levels. We turn green into yellow and blue.
As the team’s resident engineer, you will own the data models and get to contribute to many of the key architectural decisions. You will leverage your strong knowledge of BigQuery to help our entire team and larger organization more quickly get to strong insights.
This is an extremely unique role (and open to re-titling as appropriate). If you love data, especially in JSON form, wrangling it, thinking about it, designing all aspects of it, and using all the fun tools associated with it, we want to hear from you!
The person filling this role will work closely with the department head and collaborate with all members of the data team and engineering team. This is a hybrid engineering / analytics / modeling / architecting role.
- Own the BigQuery datawarehouse
- Model and wrangle our myriad datasets in manners that are most fitting to larger needs and business objectives
- Own the ETL pipelines
- Collaborate with the rest of the data team to assess the needs of the company, and organize our warehouse to best support those needs.
- Expertise with Big Query (non-legacy)
- Strong love for JSON and semi-structured data
- Ability to model data in multiple ways, as appropriate to larger objectives
- Ability to “think in data” (relating the real-world to its data abstraction, and vice-versa)
- History having stood up data warehouses from ground up (does not need to have been GCP)
- Familiarity with BI tools such as Looker a plus, but not required
- Familiarity with dbt a plus, but not required
- Natural curiosity
- Highly organized individual
- Must play nicely with others (humans and dogs)
- Prefer dogs to other species.
PERKS & BENEFITS
- Brand new dog-friendly office in Greenwich Village (complete with free-roaming friendly dogs)
- Comprehensive Healthcare, Dental, and Vision
- Flexible PTO and WFH policy
- Discounted fresh food for your pup
- Fresh breakfast, snacks and coffee for the humans
- Strict daily belly rub quota