WHO WE ARE
The Farmer’s Dog was created to radically improve the $90 billion global pet food industry — starting with a subscription service that sends freshly-made food directly to customers’ doors. Long term, our aim is to simplify every part of pet care, bettering the lives of the animals who make our lives better. We recently raised our Series B and are backed by early investors of Warby Parker, Dollar Shave Club, Sweetgreen, and Glossier.
Join The Farmer’s Dog team as we continue to figure out ways of bringing peace of mind to customers, health to their companions, and much-needed change to the way people feed and care for their pets.
WHAT’S THE ROLE?
The Farmer's Dog is hiring a hands-on Accounting Manager who will take charge of our day to day accounting activities. This person will be joining our two-person accounting and finance team and will be expected to assist in the implementation of a new accounting system to help streamline our current processes and essentially head up the new internal accounting function. This individual will be responsible for developing and maintaining procedures to ensure accurate and timely financial reporting, streamlining critical business dependencies and introducing new systems and processes to enable the team to expand and scale with ease.
This cross functional role will blend your accounting expertise with a deep appreciation and comprehension of finance and operations. This person will have the ability to lead and elevate the accounting function at The Farmer’s Dog by interacting with stakeholders across the business and with outside partners to understand current needs and gaps and proactively implement solutions. The Accounting Manager will have an active and independent voice that will be critical in all financial considerations of the business.
- Own, enhance and streamline daily accounting operations including accounts payable, billing and corporate card/T&E reimbursement process.
- Conduct monthly and year-end financial close in partnership with internal finance and external accounting partners - performing detailed account reconciliations, accruals and journal entries across revenue, inventory, cost of goods sold, marketing, AP and other areas ensuring there is proper supporting documentation.
- Provide proactive analysis to identify issues and understand fluctuations in account balances in order to provide meaningful insights to stakeholders.
- Make sound recommendations to enhance efficiency of accounting and reporting functions, as well as supporting systems to ensure quality of data.
- Maintain compliance with state and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings.
- Set the course for a robust and rigorous accounting function that will enable seamless expansion of The Farmer’s Dog.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in accounting
- 5 to 7 years of professional experience working as an Accounting Manager, ideally having worked in both public and privately owned companies
- Leadership experience with motivation to improve current processes and implement new, streamlined accounting systems from the ground up
- Ability to conduct a rigorous end to end monthly close process
- Experience in various accounting systems and ERPs (QuickBooks, NetSuite, SAP, etc.).
- Exceptional critical thinking and analytical skills with strong Excel ability.
- Excellent knowledge of GAAP, accounting processes, controls and compliance.
- A proactive and passionate person who can multi-task, think creatively and learn and implement quickly in a fast-paced environment
PERKS & BENEFITS
- Brand new dog-friendly office in Greenwich Village (complete with free-roaming friendly dogs)
- Comprehensive Healthcare, Dental, and Vision
- Flexible PTO and WFH policy
- Discounted fresh food for your pup
- Fresh breakfast, snacks and coffee for the humans
- Strict daily belly rub quota