EVERY™, based in South San Francisco, is a leading VC-backed food tech ingredient company using precision fermentation to create animal proteins without the animal for the global food and beverage industry. Originally founded as Clara Foods in 2014, EVERY™ rebranded in 2021 to better convey its vision to bring animal-free proteins to everyone, everywhere. EVERY™ is a team of passionate change makers who are reimagining the factory farm model with a kinder, more sustainable alternative. Leveraging precision fermentation to produce hyper-functional and one-to-one replacement proteins from microorganisms, EVERY™ is on a mission to decouple the world’s proteins from the animals that make them.
We are a passionate, determined, (and fun!) team with a vital objective, and we're on the lookout for like-minded people to join our mission. Sound like you?
We are excited to welcome a new Director of Data and Digital Technologies to help lead our cross-disciplinary Data team. This key member will be at the forefront of machine learning, artificial intelligence, and software engineering efforts within EVERY, supporting the team building the tools used in the lab every day to accelerate work. Indeed, this role will work with their reports and senior leadership to set long-term strategy for the group while also enabling short term execution. At the center of this position is partnership: working with, enabling, and guiding teammates as they work across the organization to expand our internal data platform.
You are a cross-disciplinary leader, capable of convening different teams and backgrounds to find a user-centered path forward in machine learning-rich environments. You can provide technical strategy on the growth of the platform, helping teammates navigate a sophisticated stack. Simultaneously, you also are a mentor, fostering growth within the team as its data scientists, software engineers, and designers advance in their own professional journeys. You are ready to further accelerate scientific understanding internally, ensuring the team’s rigor in its work but also helping teammates navigate ambiguity as you guide the company through the design of new innovative systems. Finally, you are able to present to high level executives and investors, preparing and presenting materials to various audiences of different technical backgrounds. This means you are a storyteller, able to paint a compelling and actionable picture of the future.
We know not all candidates will provide expertise in all areas and encourage you to apply even if you do not feel you have deep background in the following:
- Mentor and guide team members across software engineering, data science, and design.
- Work with partners including the leadership team and other teams as well as your own reports to set high level vision for the company.
- Contribute at key moments in software engineering and data science.
- Help the team stay abreast of advances in artificial intelligence related to synthetic biology and food science.
- Encourage and drive best practices with respect to software development, machine learning, and documentation.
- Identify and evaluate new technologies to improve performance, maintainability, and reliability of our machine learning systems.
- Maintain the team’s growing intellectual property portfolio.
- Interface with investors and senior leadership, co-creating the work of the team and its future.
- Contribute to and help teammates participate in industry or academic events.
Skills and Requirements
We are building a diverse team so we encourage folks to apply even if they don’t have all of the following but are excited to work with many different tools and technologies:
- Software architecture
- Information design
- Machine learning techniques including boosting and neural networks
- Web development libraries like Flask and FastAPI
- Statistical expertise (experience in scipy or statsmodels)
- Working with SQL databases (Postgres a plus)
- Familiarity with cloud providers such as GCP or AWS
- Strong background and emphasis on unit testing (CI/CD a plus)
- Comfort with scikit, tensorflow, onnx, or equivalent
- Basic concepts of cybersecurity and cryptography
What EVERY™ offers for Full-Time Positions:
- Generous benefits package; 100% medical, dental, and vision employee coverage, 401k matching, and stock
- Optional benefits; FSA, HSA, Pet Care, and additional life insurance
- Flexible PTO and 14 paid company holidays per year
- Parental Leave: 10 weeks of parental leave and 6 weeks of childbirth leave
- Free parking, unlimited gym access, lounge, mini-golf patio, yoga and fitness classes onsite
- Unlimited supply of sparkling water, granola bars, snacks, local coffee and tea
- Weekly virtual happy hours & lunches
- Monthly all-hands meetings and 1:1 with CEO and leadership
- Close to South San Francisco BART and CalTrain stations, including free shuttle service
Pay Range: $203,000 - $208,000
At EVERY™ pay ranges are subject to change and assigned to a job based on the location specific market median of similar jobs according to 3rd party salary benchmark surveys. Individual pay within that range can vary for several reasons including skills/capabilities, experience, and available budget.
EVERY™ is an equal opportunity employer, and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We are not able to sponsor individuals for employment visas for this job. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
Proof of full COVID-19 vaccination is a condition of employment, subject to accommodation as required by law. CDC defines fully vaccinated as: 2 weeks after your second dose in a 2-dose series, such as the Pfzier or Moderna vaccines, or 2 weeks after a single-dose vaccine, such as Johnson & Johnson's Janssen vaccine.