The EVERY Company, based in South San Francisco, is a leading VC-backed food tech ingredient company using precision fermentation to create animal proteins without the animal for the global food and beverage industry. Originally founded as Clara Foods in 2014, EVERY™ rebranded in 2021 to better convey its vision to bring animal-free proteins to everyone, everywhere. EVERY™ is a team of passionate change makers who are reimagining the factory farm model with a kinder, more sustainable alternative. Leveraging precision fermentation to produce hyper-functional and one-to-one replacement proteins from microorganisms, EVERY™ is on a mission to decouple the world’s proteins from the animals that make them.
We are a passionate, determined, (and fun!) team with a vital objective, and we're on the lookout for like-minded people to join our mission. Sound like you?
The EVERY Company is looking for a results-oriented and confident Controller to manage and improve our organization's financial performance and direct our accounting operations. Duties for the Controller will include managing accounting records, evaluating and managing risk, ensuring compliance with regulations, publishing financial statements, overseeing accounting operations, interpreting financial data, monitoring expenditure, forecasting revenue, coordinating auditing processes, and ensuring the accuracy of financial information. The ideal candidate should possess strong analytical skills, exceptional problem-solving skills, be highly organized, and have excellent leadership skills.
- Oversee the accounting operations, including supervision of contract accounting staff
- Develop and maintain internal controls appropriate for GAAP financial reporting
- Responsible for month-end close process and preparation of financial statements
- Manage/lead accounting operations of the company including A/P, A/R, Cash Management, Inventory Accounting, Fixed Assets, GL, Payroll, Intercompany Accounting and Tax
- Upon commercialization, manage working capital by driving improvements in the areas of credit and collections, vendor and customer terms and collaborate with supply chain to improve inventory management
- Optimize and run the company’s forecasting and budgeting processes, and long-range planning capabilities
- Develop and prepare financial analyses for management and investor reporting
- Process payroll with outside service provider
- Coordinate and oversee annual audits and tax filings
- In coordination with HR and outside counsel, maintain stock and option ledgers, and obtain 409A valuations
- Support management with information to assist in the decision-making process
- Partner with department heads to develop and monitor operating budgets
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting with 7+ years of progressively responsible, relevant experience in manufacturing, or synthetic biology in food or agriculture
- Must have experience with inventory, systems implementation, scalability, and building in-house accounting systems
- CPA required (prefer experience from big 4 CPA firms (EY, PwC, Deloitte & KPMG)
- Must be authorized to work in the United States for Clara Foods
Nice-to-have (but not required):
- Strong understanding of GAAP required (additional familiarity with IFRS preferred)
- Solid communication, technology, analytical and management skills
- Familiarity with cost accounting principles
- Experience with startups or fast-growing small companies
What EVERY can offer:
- Generous benefits package; 100% medical, dental, and vision employee coverage and 75% medical, 50% dental & vision for dependents. 401k matching, and stock options
- Optional benefits; FSA, HSA, Commuter, Pet Care, and additional life insurance
- Flexible PTO
- Free parking, unlimited gym access, lounge, mini-golf patio, yoga and fitness classes onsite
- Unlimited supply of sparkling water, granola bars, snacks, local coffee and tea
- Weekly themed happy hours and quarterly company outings
- Monthly all-hands meetings and 1:1 with CEO and leadership
- Close to South San Francisco BART and Cal Train stations, including free shuttle service
Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We are not able to sponsor individuals for employment visas for this job. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
Location: South San Francisco, CA or Remote
The EVERY Company™ is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.