The Dodo is looking for an Executive Editor of Originals to lead our original video efforts. In this newly formed role, you will be immersed in a fast-moving digital media environment, and play a crucial internal and external facing role in expanding the scope of The Dodo's storytelling capabilities.
Your primary mandate will be to conceive of and help bring to life sharable, compelling original video content for The Dodo. You will be responsible for generating new, ownable, on-brand content ideas -- ranging from one-off original productions, to series, to shows, to branded content -- and guiding them through every stage of production.
Short-form, mid-form and long-form storytelling catering to different distribution platforms should all excite you. Working at a mission-driven brand, contributing to the growth of a business, and working toward both creative and commercial objectives should also excite you. This position will report to the Chief Creative Officer.
- Lead ideation and scripting of concepts for recurring/repeatable original franchises, in the studio and outside the studio, across different styles (documentary, branded etc.)
- Collaborate across departments to determine the content roadmap, production method and budget
- Act as the primary liaison for third party production of original video
- Manage pre-production, segment production, and post-production for field shoots
- Identify talent to expand the Dodo family, both on and behind the camera
- 7-10 years of experience as a producer/editor of original content; at least 2 years of management experience
- Experience working with both internal and external production teams
- Deep understanding of all aspects of video creation and fluency in industry-standard tools and software
- Output driven, task focused, and strong attention to detail, able to set and meet daily delivery goals that support big picture goals, self-disciplined, self-starter, transparent with status updates
- A team player, flexible, fast-moving, patient, go-with-the-flow, resilient, with strong leadership and delegation skills but also a "fill the void" attitude
- Interest in understanding performance of content through data-driven insights
- Digital native mindset and social media savvy
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- A passion for animals!
About the Dodo:
The Dodo is an NYC-based digital media start-up committed to creating entertaining, meaningful animal-related stories – we cover everything from viral videos and animal behavior to rescue stories and advocacy efforts. Our goal at The Dodo is to deliver the most emotionally and visually compelling, sharable animal stories and videos to the biggest number of readers possible to help make caring about animals a viral cause. We are looking for passionate, flexible people who are interested in growing a start-up that we hope will make the world a better place for animals.