The Dodo is looking for an experienced Content Acquisition Manager to join its content acquisitions team. Day-to-day, you will be responsible for overseeing all aspects of our content acquisitions process for our video and commercial teams — from assisting video editors with initial reach-out, to negotiating for rights and getting contracts signed, to ensuring any contractual promises have been adhered to in the final produced content.
We’re looking for someone with 4+ years of experience in content management, content acquisition, production work or a related field with a heavily similar skillset. We need someone who has experience managing and overseeing processes, taking accountability for all aspects of production, and being part of manager-level discussions around department strategy and best practices. You must be experienced and comfortable conducting external partner negotiations without oversight, and have a strong track record of success negotiating for content rights or similar company interests. Experience people managing is a strong plus.
The ideal candidate will be a highly motivated self-starter who is able to work independently, while also collaborate in a team environment. You’re fastidiously, obsessively organized — the type of person who gets excited by a well laid-out spreadsheet. At the same time, you’re personable, confident, positive and friendly — qualities you channel into conversations with external partners.
You take ownership of everything you touch — from enforcing and optimizing processes, to the final outcomes of negotiations. You are by-the-book when it comes to best practices, but at the same time you are flexible and adaptable; you have a can-do attitude, understand the importance of change in a rapidly-growing business and welcome the ability to stretch in different areas and tackle novel projects on a day-to-day basis.
- Managing clearances for our video team from beginning to end
- Managing our Airtable-based content database during all stages of content production, including training new video editors on proper usage, enforcing best practices among video editors when filing, and ensuring all data is fastidiously tracked and updated
- Negotiating aggressively and independently for rights in a way that preserves both company interests and partner relationships, and obtaining full clearances for a variety of content types and intended uses
- Managing footage subscriptions at a high level, from tracking and approving daily usage, to monitoring success of subscription clips, to predicting future use during contract renewals
- Continuously evaluating our internal content clearance processes for areas of improvement, optimizing for efficiency and adapting them to changing business needs
- Providing support to other team members and departments on one-off or ongoing side projects with a positive, can-do attitude
- 4+ years in content acquisition/negotiations or a field that heavily relies on a similar skillset
- Experience managing and overseeing processes, and participating in strategy discussions and other manager-level projects. People management experience a plus.
- Experience conducting negotiations without oversight, with a strong track record of success and tact
- Ability to work quickly, efficiently and independently without oversight, and an obsession with organization, precision and detail — you’re motivated by accountability
- A positive, confident, can-do attitude
- Experience with Airtable is a very strong advantage
- Understanding of the Dodo brand and love of animals
Who is The Dodo?
The Dodo is the world’s #1 animal brand and the most engaged-with media brand globally across all content genres. We’re obsessed with creating fun, entertaining, emotional content that makes people fall in love with animals. We’re looking for committed, proactive and positive people who want to help build our brand and grow with our company. We offer competitive pay, medical insurance, and perks like working from home on Fridays. Office culture and work-life balance are very important to us, and bringing your dog to work is encouraged! Our team is made up of enthusiastic, ambitious people who like to help animals and have fun in the process.
About Group Nine Media:
Group Nine’s mission is to tell great stories that spark action and make a real difference. As the #1 video publisher on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, July 2019], Group Nine’s brands are built for the platforms where young people spend the majority of their time. We reach over 70% of Americans in their 20s every month [Nielsen, July 2019]. Audiences spend nearly 50 million hours a month engaging with our category-defining brands - NowThis, the no. 1 most-watched mobile news brand in the world; The Dodo, the no. 1 animal brand on digital; POPSUGAR, the leading digital lifestyle brand for women; Thrillist, the most-trusted digital brand in food, drink, travel & entertainment; and Seeker, the no. 1 science brand in the U.S. Group Nine has been recognized with hundreds of prestigious awards including Edward R. Murrow, James Beard, Cannes Lion, Critic’s Choice, among others.
We have amazing people. We can promise you’ll work alongside some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. Our people work hard but we always have fun doing it. From pride to wellness to diversity, employees lead clubs that matter. We also know how to host a top-notch happy hour. Bottom line: we care about each other and we take our values seriously.
We value development. We are a high-performance organization that challenges itself to continuously grow. We invest in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better once you’re here.
We care about you. We offer company-paid parental leave for everyone #inclusion. We also offer health, dental and vision insurance, along with a selection of voluntary benefits. Knowing that time out of the office is as important as time spent in the office, our vacation, sick, and federal holiday allowances ensure you have time to take care of yourself.
We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a matching 401(k) plan. Depending on the role, options may also be granted.
We value diversity and inclusivity. Group Nine Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Group Nine Media is also a participant in e-verify.
We serve snacks, cold brew, coffee, and tea. Who needs anything else?