The Dodo is seeking a creative storyteller and skilled operator with excellent editorial judgement and a track record of growing a digital audience to join our team. The ideal candidate has a history of spotting viral images and stories before they take off and a strong understanding of how to package them to reach as many people as possible. This person will be comfortable wearing many hats and excited to help innovate and grow The Dodo’s Snapchat properties. This person will be responsible for operational tasks such as the uploading and scheduling of editions, as well as a variety of creative tasks — from copywriting to seeing through the production of special projects from beginning to end.
The ideal candidate will have an obsession with digital media and operations, and be nimble and eager to stay two steps ahead of evolving best practices. A passion for utilizing data to create content that is emotional/visual gold and an urgency for reaching a wide audience on Snapchat are key. Great attention to detail, fantastic people skills, a positive attitude and persistence in research, writing and creating amazing stories are needed to make editions that are consistently special. We publish editions every single day of the year and are looking for people who love a fast-paced, collaborative workflow. Flexible thinkers and proactive doers who want to work in a rapidly changing startup environment will thrive on this team.
A typical week looks like:
- Uploading and scheduling The Dodo’s Snapchat daily editions and Snap Shows in the CMS
- Creating, owning and growing The Dodo’s “Our Stories” franchises on Snapchat
- Working closely with the editorial lead on creating tile images (the “cover stories” seen on the Snapchat Discover page) for our daily channel; needs to be able to identify and create compelling, must-click visuals using UGC
- Using rigorous research and storytelling techniques to conceptualize and write Dodo stories for Snapchat in a conversational and engaging manner
- Conceptualizing, researching and writing copy for special projects
- Utilizing constructive feedback to iterate on writing and content selection, working closely with managers and other members of the team
- Going through archival footage/content to find relevant items for Snapchat
- Collaborating with the design and editorial leads to develop new formats that showcase The Dodo’s brand/voice and keep the channel feeling fun, fresh, surprising and delightful
- Always aiming to grow performance metrics through best practices
- Enthusiastically taking on additional operational/editorial tasks as needed
Success will look like:
- Being able to clearly articulate our brand voice and best practices
- Using data and analytics to spearhead growth in views, subscribers and time spent across our channels
- Fully owning operational tasks, understanding how to troubleshoot and when to escalate
The next great Associate Editorial Manager, Snapchat will look like:
- At least 2 years of full-time, relevant experience at a digital media company preferred
- At least 2 years relevant experience with Photoshop; familiarity/expertise with the entire Adobe Creative Cloud a plus
- You want to work for a startup and are excited to grow a business
- You are extremely creative, organized and dedicated to creating best-in-class content
- You have a strong, conversational writing style that appeals to Gen Z and beyond
- You are able to work independently and also exchange feedback with a close-knit team
- You have a deep understanding of the Dodo brand and a drive to excel at the kind of storytelling that resonates emotionally with animal lovers
- You are technologically proficient and highly comfortable with using content management systems
- A strong interest in social media and understanding of how people create and consume content for social platforms
- Snapchat experience/obsession a plus
We have amazing people. We can promise you’ll work alongside some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. Our people work hard but we always have fun doing it. From pride to wellness to diversity, employees lead clubs that matter. We also know how to host a top-notch happy hour. Bottom line: we care about each other and we take our values seriously.
We value development. We are a high-performance organization that challenges itself to continuously grow. We invest in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better once you’re here.
We care about you. We offer company-paid parental leave for everyone #inclusion. We also offer health, dental and vision insurance, along with a selection of voluntary benefits. Knowing that time out of the office is as important as time spent in the office, our vacation, sick, and federal holiday allowances ensure you have time to take care of yourself.
We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a matching 401(k) plan. Depending on the role, options may also be granted.
We value diversity and inclusivity. Group Nine Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Group Nine Media is also a participant in e-verify.
We serve snacks, cold brew, coffee, and tea. Who needs anything else?
About Group Nine Media:
Group Nine’s mission is to tell great stories that spark action and make a real difference. As the #1 video publisher on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, July 2019], Group Nine’s brands are built for the platforms where young people spend the majority of their time. We reach over 70% of Americans in their 20s every month [Nielsen, July 2019]. Audiences spend nearly 50 million hours a month engaging with our category-defining brands - NowThis, the no. 1 most-watched mobile news brand in the world; The Dodo, the no. 1 animal brand on digital; POPSUGAR, the leading digital lifestyle brand for women; Thrillist, the most-trusted digital brand in food, drink, travel & entertainment; and Seeker, the no. 1 science brand in the U.S. Group Nine has been recognized with hundreds of prestigious awards including Edward R. Murrow, James Beard, Cannes Lion, Critic’s Choice, among others.