The Dodo is seeking a creative, efficient and organized visual storyteller to join our team as a Video Editor. You will have the exciting opportunity to work on El Dodo, our dedicated Spanish-language brand. We’ve seen rapid audience growth on El Dodo since launching in 2017, and we’re looking for someone who is excited to build on this momentum and motivated to grow with us.
As a Video Editor for El Dodo, you will be reporting to the Social Media Manager and you will thoughtfully translate and repackage existing Dodo franchises from English to Spanish using Adobe Premiere. You will also have the opportunity to create localized content for El Dodo by identifying and sourcing stories that will resonate with our audience. To thrive in this role, you must demonstrate excellent storytelling skills and have a knack for scripting and producing compelling mid-form or long-form videos for digital platforms, with a focus on Facebook and YouTube to start. The right candidate will have a good editorial instinct, a high-level of creativity, comprehensive understanding of the editing process at every stage, and will be an experienced translator who has an obsession with digital media.
- Rebrand The Dodo’s franchises to appeal to a Spanish speaking audience by way of compelling storytelling and turnkey technical expertise such as voice over and graphics
- Identify stories that will resonate with a Spanish speaking audience (U.S and International) based on best practices, top performing content and social media signals
- Source compelling stories about animals by mining social media, building relationships, putting together shot lists and communicating with uploaders to obtain engaging footage
- Find The Dodo/El Dodo angle that makes stories shareable through conducting interviews and crafting an original narrative with the emotional kernel in mind
- Use video editing techniques and rigorous storytelling to create about five midform videos per month that exemplify the Dodo/El Dodo voice and brand
- Use feedback to iterate on content selection/sourcing and editing techniques, working closely with other editors and the El Dodo Social Media Manager and Video Coordinator
- 3-4 years of editorial experience in video editing and storytelling
- Fluent Spanish, able to communicate and narrate (writing/speaking) in a universal, native and conversational tone
- Expert in copywriting, writing scripts (in Spanish), and translating (English to Spanish)
- Experience creating emotionally compelling narrative video (please provide clips)
- Advanced experience with Premiere and After Effects
- A drive to put together a complete story start to finish, including working closely with sources and producing parts of the story
- Desire to work for a growing company and a love of animals
- Extremely creative, organized and dedicated to creating best-in-class videos
- Able to work independently and also exchange feedback with a close-knit team
- Solid understanding of the Dodo brand and a drive to excel at the kind of storytelling that resonates emotionally with animal lovers
- Voice over experience a plus
We offer competitive pay, medical insurance, and perks like working from home on Fridays. Office culture and work-life balance are very important to us, and bringing your dog to work is encouraged! Our team is made up of enthusiastic, ambitious people who like to help animals and have fun in the process. The Dodo is a Group Nine Media brand in partnership with Discovery Communications, Thrillist, and NowThis.
*Please note that applications without a cover letter will not be considered!