The Dodo is seeking a creative and self-motivated visual storyteller to join our Snapchat team. The person in this role will be responsible for finding, pitching and crafting fun, compelling videos for The Dodo’s Snapchat Discover channel. You are excited by the prospect of owning short-form videos from start to finish — all while keeping a razor focus on innovative ways to use sound design and motion graphics to tell engaging 10-second stories. The ability to find and pitch videos + images from social media that draw new viewers in as the "cover story" is crucial. Identifying must-click visuals and copy is paramount.
The ideal candidate will have an obsession with digital media, and be nimble and eager to stay two steps ahead of evolving best practices. A passion for finding clips that are emotional/visual gold and a data-driven urgency for reaching a wide audience on Snapchat are key. Attention to detail, great people skills, a positive attitude and persistence in mining for the best content are needed to create videos and editions that are consistently special and highly shareable. We publish entire editions every single day of the year and are looking for people who love a fast-paced, collaborative workflow. Flexible thinkers and proactive doers who want to work in a rapidly changing startup environment will thrive on this team.
A typical week looks like:
- Finding, pitching and getting permissions on compelling stories about animals by mining social media and other footage sources
- Use video editing techniques and rigorous storytelling to create snaps that tell Dodo stories in a fun and engaging way
- Using feedback to iterate on content selection/sourcing, voice and editing techniques, working closely with managers and other editors on the team
- Always aiming to grow performance metrics through best practices
The next great Associate Video Editor/Producer, Snapchat will look like:
- You have 2 years of full-time editing experience at a digital media company preferred
- You have at least 2 years of relevant experience editing on Adobe Premiere and After Effects preferred
- You have experience creating an emotionally compelling video (please provide clips)
- You desire to work for a startup and a love of animals
- You are extremely creative, organized and dedicated to creating best-in-class videos
- You are able to work independently and also exchange feedback with a close-knit team
- You have deep understanding of the Dodo brand and a drive to excel at the kind of storytelling that resonates emotionally with animal lovers
- You have basic Photoshop experience
- Snapchat experience/obsession a plus
We have amazing people. We can promise you’ll work alongside some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. Our people work hard but we always have fun doing it. From pride to wellness to diversity, employees lead clubs that matter. We also know how to host a top-notch happy hour. Bottom line: we care about each other and we take our values seriously.
We value development. We are a high-performance organization that challenges itself to continuously grow. We invest in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better once you’re here.
We care about you. We offer company-paid parental leave for everyone #inclusion. We also offer health, dental and vision insurance, along with a selection of voluntary benefits. Knowing that time out of the office is as important as time spent in the office, our vacation, sick, and federal holiday allowances ensure you have time to take care of yourself.
We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a matching 401(k) plan. Depending on the role, options may also be granted.
We value diversity and inclusivity. Group Nine Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Group Nine Media is also a participant in e-verify.
We serve snacks, cold brew, coffee, and tea. Who needs anything else?
Who is The Dodo?
The Dodo is the world’s #1 animal brand and and the most engaged media brand globally across all content genres. We’re obsessed with creating fun, entertaining, emotional content that makes people fall in love with animals. We’re looking for committed, proactive and positive people who want to help build our brand and grow with our company.