The Dodo is looking for an experienced platform manager and strategist to help launch our new daily newsletter. As our Email Specialist, you will be a key contributor as we relaunch and reshape our daily email — you will help craft a targeted brand identity, identify and build out a dedicated audience, and think of smart ways to integrate commerce, sponsorship and community in with our content.
On a day-to-day basis, you’ll be the playful, modern, conversational and engaging voice behind our newsletter, ensuring each day’s email comes together (including writing content when needed). You’ll also closely track subscriber analytics and industry trends, providing independent analysis and flagging opportunities. You’ll build out an active, loyal community of subscribers, figuring out ways to keep them feeling engaged and involved. On a big picture level, you’ll create and refine the newsletter’s identity with the help of key members of the Dodo team, and present and pursue long-term strategies for both audience and commercial growth.
The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 2 years experience in newsletter production — strong preference will be given to candidates who have managed a relevant newsletter directly and can show a solid track record of growth and monetization. You will have superb writing skills, and an ability to build off our brand’s existing identity to craft a fun, self-aware, inviting tone for the new newsletter, to build it into a recognizable and proprietary product. You’ll pair creativity with an excellent business sense, keeping a constant eye on subscriber growth and retention, and always driving towards monetization. You aim for excellence — when it comes to both content and numbers.
What you'll do:
- Build out an engaged, excited community of active readers
- Create and refine the newsletter’s tone, voice and identity, even as our brand grows and evolves, and ensuring this identity is present in all aspects of production
- Act as project manager for the daily newsletter — curating content, integrating branded sponsorships, scheduling, etc.
- Write daily content for the newsletter including introductions, affiliate link-outs — whatever’s needed on a day-to-day basis
- Source and develop relevant relationships with brands, influencers, distribution partners, etc.
- Obsessively track and interpret analytics about subscriber growth and behavior patterns
- Lay out growth and monetizations plans, and ensuring we stay on track on a daily and long-term basis
Who we’re looking for:
- You have 2+ years experience in newsletter management and production, with a track record of success (familiarity with Campaign Monitor a plus)
- You posses superb writing and grammar skills, and a creative ability to develop a distinctly fun, fresh newsletter voice
- You have a keen eye for details, to ensure editorial consistency across writing style, graphics, tone, etc.
- You are motivated by data and always aiming to exceed performance goals
- You are able to work independently and also exchange feedback with a close-knit team
- You have a good sense of humor and appreciation for the Dodo brand and a drive to excel at the kind of storytelling that resonates emotionally with animal lovers
Who is The Dodo?
The Dodo is the world’s #1 animal brand and and the most engaged media brand globally across all content genres. We’re obsessed with creating fun, entertaining, emotional content that makes people fall in love with animals. We’re looking for committed, proactive and positive people who want to help build our brand and grow with our company.
We have amazing people. We can promise you’ll work alongside some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. Our people work hard but we always have fun doing it. From pride to wellness to diversity, employees lead clubs that matter. We also know how to host a top-notch happy hour. Bottom line: we care about each other and we take our values seriously.
We value development. We are a high-performance organization that challenges itself to continuously grow. We invest in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better once you’re here.
We care about you. We offer company-paid parental leave for everyone #inclusion. We also offer health, dental and vision insurance, along with a selection of voluntary benefits. Knowing that time out of the office is as important as time spent in the office, our vacation, sick, and federal holiday allowances ensure you have time to take care of yourself.
We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a matching 401(k) plan. Depending on the role, options may also be granted.
We value diversity and inclusivity. Group Nine Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Group Nine Media is also a participant in e-verify.
We serve snacks, cold brew, coffee, and tea. Who needs anything else?