The Dodo is seeking it’s first (and only) dedicated Director of Marketing to lead the strategy and execution of our marketing efforts. As the most engaged publisher in the world across social media, The Dodo has built a massive, loyal fan base around our content. In this newly created role, you will play a key part in figuring out how to convert our fan base into active consumers of The Dodo’s products and new content formats -- in addition to tapping into new audiences and consumer segments.
What you’ll do
- Set the overall direction of our marketing strategy across the brand, our content, commerce, and experiences, ensuring consistency across all collateral and touchpoints
- Bring a passionate, highly informed, data-driven view on how to speak, and sell, to our audience on each platform -- on social media and own-and-operated sites -- in an innovative, on-brand way, using both top- and bottom-funnel tactics
- Lead the charge in structuring and prioritizing go-to-market campaigns based on what we are selling and its importance to the business -- taking a strategic approach to optimizing our calendar, inventory, audience attention and goodwill
- Manage the creative execution of our marketing campaigns, including developing the overall messaging and copy, and having a clear vision for the look and feel of the campaign
- Stay on top of the latest trends and best practices for converting audiences, and leverage the appropriate features and tools on each platform
- Work with our data insights team to take a results-driven approach to measuring the success of each campaign, including both optimizing the messaging in real time and identifying key learnings in the post-mortem
Who we’re looking for
- You’re a marketing expert who excels at both the creative and operational aspects of planning and executing a campaign
- You have a passion for content, and a clear understanding of and respect for how content and commerce can live side by side under the same brand
- You have an intuitive understanding of what drives consumers to click, watch, and purchase
- You’re highly skilled at managing your time across strategy and day-to-day execution, and across concurrently running campaigns
- You have a healthy relationship with both the art and science of marketing -- you love data but understand how to interpret / supplement it with the right creative context and passion
- You’re a self-starter who thrives in environments with high autonomy and accountability
- You’re budget-conscious and resourceful in finding ways to maximize ROI
- You’re excited by the prospect of operating as a team of one while collaborating closely with multiple teams -- editorial, operations, platform management, communications, commerce etc. -- at both the brand and parent company level
- 6+ years in digital media marketing. Prior experience in both content and commerce marketing preferred. Prior experience in social media strongly preferred
- Well versed in the digital advertising ecosystem
- Prior experience building and managing a full-funnel marketing budget and calendar
- Analytical thinker with the ability to translate data into actionable takeaways
- Highly proficient in Keynote and the Google Suite
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
We have amazing people. We can promise you’ll work alongside some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. Our people work hard but we always have fun doing it. From pride to wellness to diversity, employees lead clubs that matter. We also know how to host a top-notch happy hour. Bottom line: we care about each other and we take our values seriously.
We value development. We are a high-performance organization that challenges itself to continuously grow. We invest in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better once you’re here.
We care about you. We offer company-paid parental leave for everyone #inclusion. We also offer health, dental and vision insurance, along with a selection of voluntary benefits. Knowing that time out of the office is as important as time spent in the office, our vacation, sick, and federal holiday allowances ensure you have time to take care of yourself.
We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a matching 401(k) plan. Depending on the role, options may also be granted.
We value diversity and inclusivity. Group Nine Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Group Nine Media is also a participant in e-verify.
We serve snacks, cold brew, coffee, and tea. Who needs anything else?
Who is The Dodo?
The Dodo is the world’s #1 animal brand and and the most engaged media brand globally across all content genres. We’re obsessed with creating fun, entertaining, emotional content that makes people fall in love with animals. We’re looking for committed, proactive and positive people who want to help build our brand and grow with our company.