The Dodo is seeking a creative and self-motivated visual storyteller to join our Snapchat team. The person in this role will be responsible for sourcing, pitching and crafting fun, compelling videos for The Dodo’s Snapchat Discover channel. You are excited by the prospect of owning short-form videos from start to finish — all while keeping a razor focus on innovative ways to use sound design and motion graphics to tell engaging 10-second stories. An important aspect of this position is the ability to find and pitch videos + images from social media that draw new viewers in as the “cover story” for our Snapchat editions. Having the ability to identify must-click visuals and copy on this front is paramount.
The ideal candidate will have an obsession with digital media, and be nimble and eager to stay two steps ahead of evolving best practices. A passion for finding clips that are emotional/visual gold and a data-driven urgency for reaching a wide audience on Snapchat are key. Attention to detail, great people skills, a positive attitude and persistence in mining for the best content are needed to create videos and editions that are consistently special and highly shareable. We publish entire editions every single day of the year and are looking for people who love a fast-paced, collaborative workflow. Flexible thinkers and proactive doers who want to work in a rapidly changing startup environment will thrive on this team.
- Source, pitch and get permissions on compelling stories about animals by mining social media and other footage sources
- Use video editing techniques and rigorous storytelling to create snaps that tell Dodo stories in a fun and engaging way
- Use feedback to iterate on content selection/sourcing, voice and editing techniques, working closely with managers and other editors on the team
- Always aim to grow performance metrics through best practices
- At least 2 years of full-time editing experience at a digital media company preferred
- At least 2 years of relevant experience editing on Adobe Premiere and After Effects preferred
- Experience creating an emotionally compelling video (please provide clips)
- The desire to work for a startup and a love of animals
- Extremely creative, organized and dedicated to creating best-in-class videos
- Able to work independently and also exchange feedback with a close-knit team
- Deep understanding of the Dodo brand and a drive to excel at the kind of storytelling that resonates emotionally with animal lovers and Gen Z
- Basic Premiere, After Effects and Photoshop experience
- Snapchat experience/obsession a plus
About Group Nine Media:
Group Nine Media is the partnership of four mission-driven, category-leading brands covering food, drink & travel (Thrillist), news & entertainment (NowThis), animals (The Dodo) and science, tech & exploration (Seeker). We're one of the world's largest digital-first media companies, boasting over 4 billion video views every month, while providing consumers 360-degree experiences across web, social, VR and live events. At Group Nine Media, we care about the content our brands create, and if you're a talented passionate individual who does too, let's talk.
We offer great benefits such as medical, dental, vision, matching 401(k), PTO, company paid AD&D, Life Insurance, Short-term & Long-term disability, and much more!
Group Nine Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.
Group Nine Media is also a participant in e-verify.