The Dodo is the leading digital media brand for animal people, the #1 animal brand on Facebook and the only dedicated animal brand on Snapchat Discover. We’re committed to creating fun, entertaining, emotional animal-related content — everything from cute viral videos to heartwarming rescue stories and meaningful advocacy pieces. Our audience is everyone who loves animals, from people who are obsessed with their pets all the way to people dedicating their lives to making the world a better place for animals. We are looking for passionate, proactive, flexible people who are interested in helping build a brand that not only entertains but makes people around the world feel connected to animals.
The Dodo is seeking a creative and experienced visual storyteller to join the team as Art Director for Snapchat. In partnership with our Snapchat editorial lead, you’ll lead the team’s efforts in producing daily editions for our Snapchat Discover channel, which showcases animals at their best and most dynamic. This includes daily creative executions for our Snapchat Discover channel as well as cracking new formats and platform-appropriate design strategies for new Snapchat features and initiatives.
Your key responsibilities will be to conceptualize and visually execute stories in collaboration with the rest of the Snapchat team. You’ll balance both micro and macro projects by working on design and animations as part of the daily production process, while playing a crucial role in defining the overall content experience and aesthetic and creative direction of The Dodo’s channel. Alongside the Snapchat editorial lead, you’ll jointly manage a dedicated creative team to ensure that deliverables are being met and production is optimized for efficiency, quality, and importantly, innovation. You’ll serve as the design mentor for the creative team, and help them hone and push their skill sets to keep the channel looking fresh and new. You’ll proactively revamp the channel so that we never stop surprising and engaging our audience over time.
As our ideal candidate, you have at least 6 years of experience in visual storytelling, type, layout, motion graphics/interaction design, and video editing. You’re fully versed in the Adobe Creative Suite; have a strong sense of typography and color; and possess vector graphic, storyboarding, and animation skills. You feel comfortable working quickly and efficiently on deadline and can maintain a positive attitude even under pressure. You’re obsessed with the details, and can proactively come up with creative solutions to problems. You’re passionate about brand building and digital media, you’re energized by change, and you’re eager to stay two steps ahead of rapidly evolving best practices.
Who we’re looking for:
- You are a designer who can pair big ideas with impeccable executions
- You are a curious creative who understands the unique Dodo voice and style
- You are passionate about animals and can present animal content in a visually compelling way, tailor-made for social
- You love Snapchat and are obsessed with social media trends generally
- You are excited to actively manage a team
- You are a self-starter who can also work in a highly collaborative environment
- You are motivated by data and are always aiming to exceed performance goals
- Your brain is always on design mode
- Your portfolio shows a diverse selection of work across platforms/formats
- 6+ years of experience
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite
- Advanced problem solving skills, ability to troubleshoot edit/technical problems
- Creative thinker with a robust sense of design & typography
- Experience managing a creative team
- Self-starter with an interest digital media, start-ups, and brand building
- Deep understanding all social platforms
- Ability to multitask, prioritize projects, and communicate progress
- Enthusiastically collaborative: an ability to work with a team of editors & producers
- Obsessive file organization skills
- A sense of humor and a great attitude
About Group Nine:
Group Nine Media is one of the world's largest digital-first media companies and the #1 publisher on Facebook Watch, boasting over 5 billion monthly video views [source: Crowd platform specific analytics modules] and reaching 81% of U.S. adults in their 20s [source: Nielsen]. With over 120 million social engagements each month [source: ListenFirst Media], Group Nine's brands are built for consumption on the platforms where young people spend the majority of their time. Group Nine is home to NowThis (the no. 1 most watched social news brand in the world), The Dodo (the no. 1 animal brand on social), Thrillist (the most trusted digital brand in food, drink, travel & entertainment) and Seeker (the digital leader in science and curiosity). Group Nine recently acquired Emmy nominated, Cannes Lion and Sundance Film Festival award-winning production studio, JASH.
We offer great benefits such as medical, dental, vision, matching 401(k), PTO, company paid AD&D, Life Insurance, Short-term & Long-term disability, and much more!
Group Nine Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.
Group Nine Media is also a participant in e-verify.