The Dodo is the leading digital media brand for animal people and the #1 animal brand on Facebook. We’re committed to creating fun, entertaining, emotional animal-related content — everything from cute viral videos to heartwarming rescue stories and meaningful advocacy pieces. Our audience is everyone who loves animals, from people who are obsessed with their pets all the way to people dedicating their lives to making the world a better place for animals. We are looking for passionate, proactive, flexible people who are interested in helping build a brand that not only entertains but makes people around the world feel connected to animals.
The Dodo is seeking a creative and experienced editor to join our growing original video team. To thrive in this role, the editor will need to excel at crafting emotionally compelling midform videos for a social audience. They will need to edit videos in a way that hooks viewers immediately and keeps them watching until the very end. The editor will feel comfortable mining through hours of produced footage plus found footage in order to identify the most memorable visuals and sound bites. They’ll be responsible for scripting and structuring emotional stories to ultimately become high-performing episodes across Facebook, YouTube, and other social platforms.
The ideal candidate will have an obsession with digital media, and be nimble and eager to stay two steps ahead of rapidly evolving best practices. A passion for finding the heart of the story, a keen eye for remarkable footage, and a data-driven urgency for reaching a wide audience on social media are key. The editor will receive guidance and feedback from multiple producers - a collaborative attitude is a must. They will be responsible for their video’s performance on social platforms, and expected to analyze data and contribute to best practices based on the episode’s performance.
- Edit multiple original video series that are high-performing and exemplify the Dodo voice and brand.
- Mine through hours of interviews, original footage and found footage to find the Dodo angle that makes stories shareable
- Collaborate with producers as needed to identify story gaps and request additional footage
- Work with team members to deliver on creative visions of each series and to meet all deliverable deadlines.
- Use feedback to iterate on content selection and editing techniques
- Provide editing support on additional projects when needed.
- Collaborate with team members and provide support on other original productions when needed.
- Conceive and pitch original concepts on a consistent basis.
- 3-4 years relevant experience editing on Adobe Premiere
- 2+ years experience editing content for a Facebook audience
- Experience creating emotionally compelling narrative video (please provide clips)
- 1-2 years relevant experience in After Effects
- Desire to work for a growing company and a love of animals
- Extremely creative, organized and dedicated to creating best-in-class videos
- A team player, flexible, patient, go-with-the-flow, resilient, “fill the void” attitude
- Able to work independently and also exchange feedback with a close-knit team
- Eagerness to analyze performance on social platforms to establish best practices
- Deep understanding of the Dodo brand and a drive to excel at the kind of storytelling that resonates emotionally with animal lovers
About Group Nine:
Group Nine Media is one of the world's largest digital-first media companies and the #1 publisher on Facebook Watch, boasting over 5 billion monthly video views [source: Crowd platform specific analytics modules] and reaching 81% of U.S. adults in their 20s [source: Nielsen]. With over 120 million social engagements each month [source: ListenFirst Media], Group Nine's brands are built for consumption on the platforms where young people spend the majority of their time. Group Nine is home to NowThis (the no. 1 most watched social news brand in the world), The Dodo (the no. 1 animal brand on social), Thrillist (the most trusted digital brand in food, drink, travel & entertainment) and Seeker (the digital leader in science and curiosity). Group Nine recently acquired Emmy nominated, Cannes Lion and Sundance Film Festival award-winning production studio, JASH.
We offer great benefits such as medical, dental, vision, matching 401(k), PTO, company paid AD&D, Life Insurance, Short-term & Long-term disability, and much more!
Group Nine Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.
Group Nine Media is also a participant in e-verify.