The Dodo is the leading digital media brand for animal people and the #1 animal brand on Facebook. We’re committed to creating fun, entertaining, emotional animal-related content — everything from cute viral videos to heartwarming rescue stories and meaningful advocacy pieces. Our audience is everyone who loves animals, from people who are obsessed with their pets all the way to people dedicating their lives to making the world a better place for animals. We are looking for passionate, proactive, flexible people who are interested in helping build a brand that not only entertains but makes people around the world feel connected to animals.
The Dodo is seeking an experienced digital media producer and visual storyteller to join our growing original video team. This Senior Producer of Originals will work with the team to produce midform social videos. They will be responsible for delivering high-performing video series for key social platforms.
The producer will guide projects through each stage of the production and post-production process - from development through final deliverables. This person will bring a strong eye for compelling visual storytelling, and an eagerness to gain a deep understanding of The Dodo’s brand and best practices.
The producer will be responsible for creating highly engaging video content that combines original and found footage for Facebook, YouTube and additional platforms. Pre-production requirements include casting and managing the animal talent, writing up shooting documents, shot lists and interview questions, hiring the appropriate crew, and setting travel plans. The producer will be expected to be available while their hired production team is in the field. They also may need to occasionally attend a shoot themselves and must be comfortable producing in the field. For post-production, they’ll be managing the daily schedule to ensure timely delivery of each episode and regularly communicating and collaborating with the editor. They’ll be responsible for acquiring supplemental footage, and providing constructive feedback to editors. Ultimately, the video’s performance is the producer’s responsibility, and they’ll be expected to monitor and analyze data around their show’s performance.
To thrive in this role, the producer will need to quickly establish a firm grip of company best practices and what works for a social audience. They will be expected to both work independently on their team and be open to feedback and collaboration. The producer will be expected to excel at conceptualizing innovative, animal-driven ideas that at their heart combine emotional stories and compelling footage. The footage produced needs to hook a social audience immediately and keep them watching until the very end.
The ideal candidate will have an obsession with digital media, and be eager to stay two steps ahead of rapidly evolving best practices. A passion for finding the heart of the story and a data-driven urgency for reaching a wide audience on social media are key. The producer will be expected to jump in and help in any area needed. Being a nimble team player is a must!
- Produce, manage and guide multiple original video series that exemplify the Dodo voice and brand from pre-production through final delivery.
- Cast shows by scouring social media for the perfect animal stories with compelling visuals. Connect with animal owners and manage relationships with talent.
- Create production documents for all episodes. Be in communication with hired production team through every shoot, and be available if needed to produce in the field. Shoots often take place on nights and weekends, as such the producer will be expected to work during these times as well.
- Work with animal owners and editors to ensure that all required assets are available for edit.
- Provide editing support when needed - this may include everything from pulling selects to editing entire projects in Premiere
- Collaborate with team members and provide support on other original productions when needed.
- Find the Dodo angle that makes stories shareable through crafting an original narrative with the emotional kernel in mind
- Conceive, develop and pitch original concepts on a consistent basis.
- Analyze each episode and show’s performance during and after airing. Establish best practices on content selection, production and editing techniques based on data analysis.
- 5+ years of producing and editing digital video content at a media publisher
- 3+ years of field production experience
- Production experience: storyboarding, creating shot lists, interview questions and communicating with freelance crews
- Experience creating emotionally compelling narrative midform video (please provide clips)
- Experience creating content geared for a social audience
- Extremely creative, organized and dedicated to creating best-in-class videos
- Excellent editorial judgment and social search skills
- Able to work independently and also provide leadership and strategic thinking within a close-knit team
- A team player, flexible, patient, go-with-the-flow, resilient, “fill the void” attitude
- Able to juggle a fast-paced workload alongside management and quality control responsibilities
- Able to conceptualize and then acquire necessary assets to execute on that vision
- Desire to work for a growing company and a love of animals
- Deep understanding of the Dodo brand and a drive to excel at the kind of storytelling that resonates emotionally with animal lovers
About Group Nine:
Group Nine Media is one of the world's largest digital-first media companies and the #1 publisher on Facebook Watch, boasting over 5 billion monthly video views [source: Crowd platform specific analytics modules] and reaching 81% of U.S. adults in their 20s [source: Nielsen]. With over 120 million social engagements each month [source: ListenFirst Media], Group Nine's brands are built for consumption on the platforms where young people spend the majority of their time. Group Nine is home to NowThis (the no. 1 most watched social news brand in the world), The Dodo (the no. 1 animal brand on social), Thrillist (the most trusted digital brand in food, drink, travel & entertainment) and Seeker (the digital leader in science and curiosity). Group Nine recently acquired Emmy nominated, Cannes Lion and Sundance Film Festival award-winning production studio, JASH.
We offer great benefits such as medical, dental, vision, matching 401(k), PTO, company paid AD&D, Life Insurance, Short-term & Long-term disability, and much more!
Group Nine Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.
Group Nine Media is also a participant in e-verify.