The Dodo is the leading digital media brand for animal people. We’re committed to creating fun, entertaining, emotional animal-related content — everything from cute viral videos to heartwarming rescue stories and meaningful advocacy pieces. Our audience is everyone who loves animals, from people who are obsessed with their pets all the way to people dedicating their lives to making the world a better place for animals. We are looking for passionate, proactive, flexible people who are interested in helping build a brand that not only entertains but makes people around the world feel connected to animals.
The Dodo is seeking a talented video editor with exceptional motion graphics skills to join our new brand, Dodo Kids, as our first Kids Motion Graphics Editor. Reporting to the Kids Story Editor, you’ll be part of the founding team as we develop the new department and and hone our editorial voice, look and feel, and overall strategy. You’re an experienced video editor who’s obsessed with building unique, memorable aesthetics, which you execute flawlessly with your strong technical and animation skills. You love The Dodo’s content, and you’re excited to help us adapt our existing video content in a way that’s super dynamic, entertaining, and irresistible for a whole new generation of Dodo fans.
As the Motion Graphics Editor for the Dodo Kids team, you will work very closely with the Kids Story Editor, as well as the Editorial Director and other members of editorial leadership, to recut our existing videos in an imaginative, kid-friendly way, and develop motion graphics that will define our new brand as engaging, emotionally compelling and, most importantly, FUN for kids — while preserving our existing brand identity.
As our ideal candidate, you’re an independent, adaptable creative, but you understand how creative and business rely on and can help build each other. You’re a highly reliable and independent worker, but also an excellent team player who can quickly switch between independent work and a team environment. You feel comfortable working quickly and efficiently on deadline and maintain a can-do attitude even under pressure. You’re obsessed with the details, and pride yourself on proactively coming up with creative solutions to problems quickly. You’re energized by change and are eager to help develop and stay two steps ahead of rapidly evolving best practices. You’re welcome lots of feedback — you take suggestions well, and don’t like to rest until the product is the very best version of itself that it can be.
Flexibility is key in this position — you understand that the needs of a small department, and a start-up, can change as we develop, and you’re eager to help build a team from the ground up, maintaining consistent creative professionalism and a positive, collaborative attitude. You have a relatable, childlike sense of fun, but also a competitive drive for growing audience. You’re deeply excited about kids’ content, passionate about The Dodo specifically and the digital media industry generally, and you’re hungry and ready to hit the ground running to help further grow our business.
Professionally, you have at least 3 years experience video editing, with a core focus in animation and motion graphics. Experience working with kids content is a huge plus. You have experience setting up projects, versioning existing videos to different formats and repackaging content. You’ll feel comfortable hunting down and reconnecting media from different servers and drives and exporting publishable work in multiple dimensions. You’re comfortable working with voiceover and music, and pride yourself on creating polished, expensive-feeling products with exquisite transitions and timing. Strong technical skills and knowledge of post production workflows are a must, as is excitement to work on cutting original kids videos if and when we expand.
- Repackage existing videos for the Dodo Kids brand across platforms, preserving the emotional narrative while making them fresh and appealing to kids; help our Kids Story Editor and Editorial Director carry out their creative vision for our kids’ brand
- Create fun, dynamic, engaging, kid-friendly, and memorable animations and graphics that are brand-defining and shape our emerging look and feel for the brand
- Help develop video best practices and always stay one step ahead of platform changes and evolving business needs; stay obsessed with the stats to know what’s resonating with out audience, and pivot proactively when necessary
- If and when we create original kids’ content, be ready and excited to edit these as well
- 3+ years of relevant experience in video and motion graphics editing
- Adobe Premiere and After Effects experience required
- Photoshop, Illustrator and After Effects skills a plus
- Experience creating emotionally compelling narrative video (please provide clips)
- Experience creating dynamic, engaging motion graphics and animation (please provide clips)
- Huge excitement about the children’s media industry and market
- Ability to multitask, prioritize projects, and communicate progress
- Ability to rapidly transition between independent and collaborative work
- An understanding of what makes children excited, and ability to create visuals they connect with
- A reliable, consistent sense of professionalism, balanced with a great sense of humor
- A love of the Dodo brand and voice, and excitement about helping to bring the business to the next level
About Group Nine:
Group Nine Media is one of the world's largest digital-first media companies and the #1 publisher on Facebook Watch, boasting over 5 billion monthly video views [source: Crowd platform specific analytics modules] and reaching 81% of U.S. adults in their 20s [source: Nielsen]. With over 120 million social engagements each month [source: ListenFirst Media], Group Nine's brands are built for consumption on the platforms where young people spend the majority of their time. Group Nine is home to NowThis (the no. 1 most watched social news brand in the world), The Dodo (the no. 1 animal brand on social), Thrillist (the most trusted digital brand in food, drink, travel & entertainment) and Seeker (the digital leader in science and curiosity). Group Nine recently acquired Emmy nominated, Cannes Lion and Sundance Film Festival award-winning production studio, JASH.
We offer great benefits such as medical, dental, vision, matching 401(k), PTO, company paid AD&D, Life Insurance, Short-term & Long-term disability, and much more!
Group Nine Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.
Group Nine Media is also a participant in e-verify.