The Dodo is seeking an experienced digital media storyteller to produce brand-defining video content, establish best practices and expand our range of storytelling techniques. To thrive in this role, you’ll need to excel at sourcing and crafting an emotionally compelling narrative that hooks viewers immediately and keeps them watching until the very end. As a senior member of the video team, you are a team player who’s eager to improve other people’s work, develop new processes, run trainings, and use data to inform new strategies and help the team excel.
You know what a great narrative for social looks like, and you have the skills to get the footage you need to craft it. You’ll feel comfortable producing a mid- or longer-form social video from start to finish — from sourcing content online to conducting interviews, scripting and editing a memorable, emotional story. You’ll create engaging video content that combines found and original footage for our social platforms, including: Facebook, Facebook Watch, Youtube, Instagram and Twitter. The ideal candidate will have an obsession with social video, and be nimble and eager to stay two steps ahead of rapidly evolving best practices. A passion for finding the heart of the story and a data-driven urgency for reaching a wide audience on social media are key.
- Serve as a leader on the video team by producing high-performing and brand-defining videos and helping others reach that level
- Source compelling stories about animals by mining social media and working with animal rescuers
- Find the Dodo angle that makes stories sharable through conducting interviews, requesting or shooting more content and crafting an original narrative
- Use video editing techniques and rigorous storytelling to create about five midform videos a month that exemplify the Dodo voice and brand
- Use feedback to iterate on content selection and editing techniques, working closely with other editors on the team
- Help enforce team goals, celebrate wins and motivate team members to excel
- Create new best practices, design and lead training sessions around them
- 5+ years relevant experience editing on Adobe Premiere
- 3+ years relevant experience producing digital video content
- A keen sense of the emotional heart of a story and the ability to get every asset and soundbyte needed to deliver on it
- Experience creating emotionally compelling narrative video (please provide clips)
- Basic After Effects
- Desire to work for a rapidly changing startup, ready to pivot responsibilities when needed
- Extremely creative, organized and dedicated to creating best-in-class videos
- Able to work independently and also provide leadership and strategic thinking within a close-knit team
- Experience managing other video editors preferred
- Deep understanding of the Dodo brand and a drive to excel at the kind of storytelling that resonates emotionally with animal lovers
About The Dodo
The Dodo is an NYC-based digital media start-up committed to creating entertaining, meaningful animal-related stories – we cover everything from viral videos and animal behavior to rescue stories and advocacy efforts. Our goal at The Dodo is to deliver the most emotionally and visually compelling, sharable animal stories and videos to the biggest number of readers possible to help make caring about animals a viral cause. We are looking for passionate, flexible people who are interested in growing a start-up that we hope will make the world a better place for animals.
We offer competitive pay, medical insurance, and perks like working from home on Fridays. Office culture and work-life balance are very important to us, and bringing your dog to work is encouraged! Our team is made up of enthusiastic, ambitious people who like to help animals and have fun in the process. The Dodo is a Group Nine Media brand in partnership with Discovery Communications, Thrillist, and NowThis.
*Please note that applications without a cover letter and link to relevant creative works will not be considered!