The Dodo is seeking a creative and experienced visual storyteller to join our video team. To thrive in this role, you’ll need to excel at sourcing and crafting an emotionally compelling narrative that hooks viewers immediately and keeps them watching until the very end. You’ll feel comfortable producing a mid- or longer-form social video from start to finish — from sourcing content online, conducting interviews and requesting extra footage, to scripting and structuring a memorable, emotional story. We’re looking for editors who can spot an emotional piece of found footage and use it as a building block to produce a midform video with visual arc, using shot lists and giving direction to the uploader to acquire every piece of footage needed to make the story complete.
The ideal candidate will have an obsession with digital media, and be nimble and eager to stay two steps ahead of rapidly evolving best practices. A passion for finding clips that are emotional/visual gold and a data-driven urgency for reaching a wide audience on social media are key. Attention to detail, great people skills, persistence in gathering every part of the story, and the ability to manage multiple ambitious projects at once are needed to create videos that are consistently special and highly sharable. We are open to extremely committed recent grads.
- Source compelling stories about animals by mining social media, building relationships, putting together shot lists and communicating with uploaders to obtain engaging footage
- Find the Dodo angle that makes stories sharable through conducting interviews and crafting an original narrative with the emotional kernel in mind
- Use video editing techniques and rigorous storytelling to create about five midform videos per month that exemplify the Dodo voice and brand
- Use feedback to iterate on content selection/sourcing and editing techniques, working closely with other editors on the team
- Experience creating emotionally compelling narrative video (please provide clips)
- A drive to put together a complete story start to finish, including working closely with sources and producing parts of the story
- Basic After Effects a plus
- Desire to work for a growing company and a love of animals
- Extremely creative, organized and dedicated to creating best-in-class videos
- Able to work independently and also exchange feedback with a close-knit team
- Deep understanding of the Dodo brand and a drive to excel at the kind of storytelling that resonates emotionally with animal lovers
We have amazing people. We can promise you’ll work alongside some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. Our people work hard but we always have fun doing it. From pride to wellness to diversity, employees lead clubs that matter. We also know how to host a top-notch happy hour. Bottom line: we care about each other and we take our values seriously.
We value development. We are a high-performance organization that challenges itself to continuously grow. We invest in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better once you’re here.
We care about you. We offer company-paid parental leave for everyone #inclusion. We also offer health, dental and vision insurance, along with a selection of voluntary benefits. Knowing that time out of the office is as important as time spent in the office, our vacation, sick, and federal holiday allowances ensure you have time to take care of yourself.
We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a matching 401(k) plan. Depending on the role, options may also be granted.
We value diversity and inclusivity. Group Nine Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Group Nine Media is also a participant in e-verify.
We serve snacks, cold brew, coffee, and tea. Who needs anything else?
Who is The Dodo?
The Dodo is the world’s #1 animal brand and and the most engaged media brand globally across all content genres. We’re obsessed with creating fun, entertaining, emotional content that makes people fall in love with animals. We’re looking for committed, proactive and positive people who want to help build our brand and grow with our company.